4k - Thermo switch for electric fan?

efp0wa

Just been going through this with my brothers latest Starlet. They run a electric fan set up from factory, there are two senders on the top water outlet at the motor, one up on top is for the fan, and one down low is the sender for the temp gauge.

20A fuse labelled 'engine,fan motor' & Cooling fan relay are located just under dash on R/H side

If all your factory wiring is still intact you will find the fan has a male white 2 pin round plug, the female end of it comes out of the body loom just behind the Left Headlight/below the radiator overflow bottle.

Unfortunately if your starlet is like most of the starlets around & has been worked on by useless muppets, most of this info is probably no good to you. Fan on bro's starlet for example was hooked up with speaker wire to the battery & a toggle switch

• 2 weeks later...
If all your factory wiring is still intact you will find the fan has a male white 2 pin round plug, the female end of it comes out of the body loom just behind the Left Headlight/below the radiator overflow bottle.

Found the plug finally, has the wires chopped (blue/white strip & blue) on the male end. I hooked up the fan directly to the wires and got the mrs to take it for a drive to heat it up. Fan didn't come on, how can I test to see if this is working? Where is the relay? The fuse seems intact.

take the plug off the thermo switch, with the key in on position this should cause the fan to run all the time. If that doesn't work then disconnect the fan & check voltage at the plug end to prove it's not a case of a faulty fan motor. Relay is up under dash on Right side, when you take the plug off the thermo switch you should be able to hear the relay clicking on & off

A guy on club-k.co.nz told me to look for "Plug for the fan is a round white 2 pin connector, Positive is Light Blue with a Orange Stripe, Earth is White with black stripe."

Still no luck...

Whats the story with the plug that has the bridged wire plugged in?

img3938jg.th.jpg

img3937p.th.jpg

img3941n.th.jpg

Unforutanly as it seems, no one can help me with this issue. I guess the relay or thermostatic switch is stuffed.

I purchased a relay, wires and a switch today so I can turn on the fan if I have to. I had it all wired up correctly but the fucking thing wont go.

Don't know what i'm doing wrong... Im going for a walk and a beer at the pub, will post up how I wired it when I get back

Sounds like your not logically testing the factory system to see if it works, there's only the fuse, relay, thermo-switch and wiring continuity to check cant be that hard.

At worst take the thermo switch out and test that it works by dropping it in some boiling water, then just wire up a new relay through the thermo switch, fuck having fans on a switch when its so easy to setup properly

img3938jg.jpg

The round plug in the bottom left of your photo should be the correct one, wiring colours may differ between NZ New & Jap Import, probably explains why they are different to what you were told on Club-K. Have you located the cooling fan relay in the drivers kick panel? With the key in the on Position remove the relay & you can check for voltage on the relay board, as long as your fuse is ok you should have voltage here. With a short piece of wire you could also bypass the relay & prove the circuit to the fan. Relay itself has a diagram on the side indicating which pins you will need to loop.

- I tested the thermostatic switch in a pot of water on a gas cooker, slowly warmed it up to hot with the ohm meter connected. I assumed right from the very start that it was faulty as i got a 0 reading and i'm sure it should have a readying of high resistance.

- Removed relay and tested it, it clicks on but very very quietly.

- Checked voltage at where the relay plugs in and all was well.

- Checked voltage at the blue wires from the round plug again and had 0 voltage.

- Removed the plug from the thermostatic switch again when everything was plugged back up (fan plugged into blue wires from round plug). Fan didn't start.

- Put + probe on the wire that goes to the thermostatic switch and put the - on the switch terminal and had a reading of 12.74.

So I hope this testing hopes help people with whats going on to provide me some sort of solution as to what is going on.