threeonthetree's 1965 Hillman Super Minx

crooked

Discussion - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=29364

Brought this off Trade Me the other day, Runs good, needs a new battery...

abit of panel work where the old owner tried to smooth things off etc etc...

Came with heaps of old stuff, manuals, rego slips etc etc , was cool to read through and see where it came from.

Plans so far are just to tidy it up and get it all one color, probably go with the red wheels and white walls look for now, iv got some bullet shaped center caps, find a visor and some roof racks for now

!

181523441_full.jpg

181523402_full.jpg

181523370_full.jpg

181523336_full.jpg

Running heaps better, found that the generator has been rebuilt twice because of a charging fault, once in 1999 and once in 2009, I hope its just my battery that needs a charge...

Not holding charge, runs alright now though, fixed the horn, started to panel, getting there...

More sanding tonight, then probably get it primed properly...

Cant get the fu#*ing hub caps off... !!!!!! sh!t god damn!!!

Anyone with a visor? i want :)

• 1 month later...

Alright, I took over this car on saturday after a nice drive back from hamilton with 3 others as 'cop spotters'. Made it in one piece and no fines.

Brake stopped working a couple of times and discovered a brake cylinder leaking quite badly so have taken that off and into a brake shop to get it fixed. Have also sanded back some visible bog and primed the panels except roof. Popped the rocker cover off and adjusted the valve clearances, runs a million times better now and cold starting works mint!! Greased all the grease nipples and oiled what needs oiling so should be good to go once the brake cylinders back then off to see what she fails for a WOF.

Need to wire up top brake light and fix speedo one day this week and probably give the ignition a good refresh as shit looks old.

Should make a good daily while I spend more time on the Prince.

Quick update, My brake cylinder is done so should get that sorted this weekend. $63 bucks inc gst from Race Brakes on New North Road.

Fixed sticking right rear brake, just needed to back the adjustment off a tiny bit. Tighten up front left wheel bearing so no more sloppy wheel, Fixed high stop light and sanded more dodgy bits/primed. Am going to repaint the whole car its factory sky blue color which should look nice, probably do it this weekend/next week.

So now for wof hopefully just need to replace the front tires as one has some strange cut going the whole way around the outer edge and weld a couple of patch panels in the front left inner wheel well, rangi up the bonnet so it dont look so shit and fix the bonnet open button inside the cabin as i think there must be a break in the cable somewhere as it does nothing. :)

Fingers crossed shes all ready to roll by next weekend.

Then its only a couple of minor problems to fix, fuel seems to leak a little from the carb where the throttle shaft thingie (no idea what it call) is attached. Hopefully not a major. Also need a stereo and a peice of door rubber for the drivers door so it stops sounding like a wind tunnel.

Then its drive drive drive time. Any suggestions?

• 2 months later...

Still havent gotten around to giving it a WOF but should be very soon, am still waiting to get my tires in. Have tidied it all up. Sp far everything works only the tires I can see are shit. Has pollen all over the car in the photos but the matt black actually looks a bit nicer when washed :)

DSCF1947.jpg

DSCF1948.jpg

Let me know what you think.

• 4 weeks later...

Little update.

Car has been running mint, done about 700miles in it without a hassle till one day at the mad butcher. Starter motor decided to crap out, took that out and a rebuilt one was going to be $280 bucks. fuck that, got a second one off trademe for $20 just waiting for it to arrive.

most likely within the next couple of weeks will be blocking it all back to get a nice base and fix any nasties then a mate of mine is going to spray it properly in a booth, a nice glossy black.

and im after a tape deck, old school looking.

• 10 months later...

This cheeky little Minx is now mine.

SAM_0942blackandwhite.jpg

Purchased from Dave today.

Had an issue where it would die with no throttle applied. When I took it for a test-drive, we noticed that the ignition coil had also been getting unusually hot. When it came time to collect the car, I took a new coil with me.

Installing it has stopped the stalling issue.

Also installed the chrome headlight surround rings.

No immediate plans as such, but I have a list of things that will eventually be done. Some more eventual than others.

-Replace generator with alternator from modern (pick-a-part) japanese motor

-Replace window seals and door rubbers

-Replace engine mounts

-Ditch current radio and speakers and install another properly

-Remove rust (though the car is surprisingly solid in this area)

-Rebuild carburettor and possibly engine. Will start with the easiest first.

-Install windscreen washer bottle and pump (until then, I'll just squirt from a drinkbottle out the window)

-Possibly install beauty rings (although I'm growing fond of the current look)

-Panel and paint

Have only driven it twice, but it keeps up with (and occasionally beats) modern traffic.

Also has some sweet pin-up art on the bootlid, courtesy of Mrs123456789.

• Like 1

The pedestrian friendly, ergonomic bonnet opening device was past it's prime.

Plus I was worried that my new battery and other fancy bits would be stolen in no time.

So I went from this:

SAM_0999.jpg

To this:

SAM_1000.jpg

Made one good bonnet release out of the two broken ones that it came with.

So now I have a fantastically functional ONNET release handle.

SAM_1003.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Cylinder head has been reconditioned.

Basically, it had burnt an exhaust valve on cylinder #3 aaaaages ago. Sadly, It had then been driven on three cylinders for aaaaaages. I bought it, drove it home and removed the cylinder head.

Head gasket was blown and cylinder number three had cracked its exhaust valve seat.

Sooooo, after cleaning and disassembling the head, it was put back together with a new exhaust valve above cylinder #3 and a new corresponding valve seat. The compression has been upped by planing the head. Replaced the frost plug too.

Should run smoothly and rather swiftly now.

SAM_1070.jpg

Incase you're wondering which shade of orange that is:

SAM_1075.jpg

That's right. It's misspelt Chevrolet orange.

Here are the existing valves:

SAM_1078.jpg

And here is the new exhaust valve:

Managed to track the valve down through Bowden Engine Parts, from Tauranga.

SAM_1080.jpg

SAM_1077.jpg

SAM_1073.jpg

Gaskets were very cheap. So I bought the conversion gasket set too.

The engine leaks from all over the place, so I'll pull it out completely and replace all of the gaskets and paint it.

'Chevey' orange for sure.

I just know that this is going to snowball into me painting the engine bay while the motor is out...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rebuilt the carburettor the day before the Albany meet.

Removed a few foreign particles that had caused blockages and cleaned out the fuel pump and filter.

Looks better now that the exterior is all one colour.

Ran like a dream. Cruised at 55-60mph and went up the Harbour Bridge in top gear with no sign of slowing.

I actually had to back off.

SAM_1174_zps6a1cf6f6.jpg