Loose drive shaft shield

kicker

So I found the cause of an annoying rattle I had been looking for and it is this thing

picccc%20089a.jpg

The workshop manual I have makes no mention of it but it is present in the diagrams.

I can't see any obvious way that it is supposed to securely locate around the end of the gearbox, if there was any kind of sleeve it pushed onto it's long gone.

I need to sort it out as it makes heaps of fucking noise, should I fix it (if so, how?) or just cut the fucker off?

im guessing its the same as toyota in that its just a press fit onto the end of the gearbox, take out your drive shaft, remove it, replace driveshaft. profit??

or if you want to put it back you could deform it in some way so it grabs onto the back of the gearbox housing like its supposed to.

up to you, but it not a necessity.

im guessing its the same as toyota in that its just a press fit onto the end of the gearbox, take out your drive shaft, remove it, replace driveshaft. profit??

or if you want to put it back you could deform it in some way so it grabs onto the back of the gearbox housing like its supposed to.

up to you, but it not a necessity.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

A bit more investigation and it looks like it should secure to the sliding yoke instead. There are a couple of rough patches on the yoke where it feels like something has sheared off, possibly locating pins for the slots in the end of the shield??

Maybe a few tacks evenly around it?

To fix it properly take off the driveshaft and tap it back on - it'll be an interference fit. If it doesn't sit securely and squarely on the shoulder you'll need to tack it in 2 or 4 relatively even places around the driveshaft.

Or you can biff over your shoulder. Cos it don't do fuck all.

Cheers for the help guys.

I think it has been this way for a long time as it now sits loose around the seat which I assume it used to have the interference fit on.

Just want to stop the noise it makes so I'll get the dremel on to it tomorrow.

Can't wait to take it for a drive without that thing banging around.