Alternator - Questions for auto sparkys

Chrome_GT

Backround - My ignition light was lit when key in off position, but lamp died when key was turned on. 74 2000cc capri

Basically there was a short. I noticed there was a shorting sound coming from the alternator when i had the plug in the back. Underneath the end cap there are 3 plates, with connector stalks running through from each plate to a winged connection apparently fixed to the top outermost plate. But one of those connectors had come loose so the 3rd plate was shorting to the second. It looks fixable!!!

I can bend the connector back into place. And with superglue i can hold it in place. Otherwise it'll likely shake loose and short out again. On those connectors there is a black cylindar. I'm worried that even if I do the above fix the connection under the black cylinder may not be too flash. It is impossible to get a soldering iron underneath.

What is the cylinder?

Can i simply fit a jump wire between the outermost plate and the innermost? Therefore making the same connection as otherwise achieved by the stalks

or does the cylinder actually do something , resistor, capacitor etc?

Help much appreciated.

Is it a Lucas ACR alternator?

The black cylinder could be a resistor, or perhaps a diode to stop current travelling back into the alternator, or possibly a capacitor to smooth out the output voltage.

Measure the resistance both ways should tell you. Which connection to the alternator does it actually come from?

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Graphics/U ... S017B1.gif

I wouldn't mess around too much with the internals of them, those alternators are rather cheap, u can get a 2nd hand one for like $40 or brand new one for under $200.

Plus if its still original it may not have much life left in it anyway

Have sussed out through a capri forum that it is a diode. They referred to the plate assy as a diode pack. My plan is to unsolder the diode pack and rip one out of one of my spare alternators to solder back in (or just use one of the spare alternators if they charge ok, I think i destroyed my last ones windings). This alternator is about 5 years old.