Electric dizzy replacement

187inc

Hey forgive me if this has been covered before, i'm thinking of upgrading my pintos' points dizzy to electric but dunno what the best way to do it would be, i've read that you can use a dizzy from early sierras, sentra/sunnys, even city/accords... anybody had some experience as to the easiest way to go about it?

Yeah id seen those kits (like the pertronix on trademe) but they seem pretty expensive for what they are, has anybody actually bought one of these kits and found them successful or not? May just end up hitting up pick-a-part cos im a cheap bastard..

I've seen kitsets by MSD to replace points, not cheap, I suggest address the ignition system as a whole. you're not just replacing a part here, you're moving from kettering points to electronic ignition systems.

I like the megasquirt II (ignoring the fuel injection features) it works great in a 'spark-only' application and they're cheap and reliable. they work with almost any crank or cam-speed timing signal, the challenge here is getting a timing signal, use a sensor from a dizzy, install laser-cut disc (+pickup) onto front crank pulley,etc.

• 2 weeks later...