PCV valve questions

shavenYak

Bought this today:

img6639medium.jpg

it's off an 18RG, and I'd like to know how it works, how to test it, and how to install it properly.

It has an electrical connector - what does this do? Do I need to connect it?

The 12R that's in my hiace has two vent outlets, one from the top cover that goes back into the intake, and one from further down the crankcase that I believe is supposed to have a valve, but at the moment is just a tube that points down at the road. Once the valve is installed, I still wont have anywhere to pipe the gases back into the engine. Is it ok to just leave it open to air? I guess a catch can would be ideal?

PCV= Postivie carankcase ventilation. If your breather hoses aren't connected to your intake tract somewhere after the Throttlebody/carb than you have passive crankcase ventilation. The whole idea of a PCV valve is so that the breather hoses don't act like a huge air leak and make your car run like arse/not run at all. Most PCV equiped cars will be jettted a whisker richer to compensate for what is essentially a small air leak.

I was looking at one exactly the same as that some time ago on the "flower power" van with 18RG. That wasn't hooked up properly either.

You'd really need to check the wiring diagram but as a guess you want it closed at idle so there's no leak, it should only open off idle so a microswitch on the throttle would be a good place to start experimenting.

It's just a solenoid valve, on or off, no in between.

Steve

The normal setup is pcv for the one that is connected to the intake tract and no valve for the other one. pointing at the road is fine, into a bottle fine, into a catch can, also fine. it *should* be routed to the intake pre throttle/turbo, but that's just so vapour from inside your engine gets reburned. You probably don't care enough to worry.

I wrote this ages ago if the above isn't sufficient :

http://www.diyefi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=357

Fred.

Good read Fred.

Just one point, PCV valves in turbo and non turbo applications are sometimes different.

Certain Mitsi ones don't close with boost, they come in non turbo cars, need to be swapped to the turbo version to use with a turbo, otherwise they'll flow with boost.

Steve