l300 vr4 conversion

Southern Hardstyle

I'm about to do this.

Currently sourcing a complete engine, loom, ecu etc.

I'm not entirely sure about the conversion so as much information as possible would be excellent for me to work from. I'm a bit vague regarding using a fwd engine. Is this easy? Mounts will be fit into the l300 ok etc? I see the inlet manifold and turbo may face the wrong way, therefore what needs to be done regarding this?

Thanks.

So just to clarify: Any 2 litre L300 box will bolt to a 'normal' DOHC 4G63 (eg from a fwd Lancer, VR4 etc), and it's only the Starion motor that needs the wider 2.4 gearbox?

Yep more or less. But double check anyway as the 4WD 2.0L engines are wideblock too from memory. The basic rule of thumb is turbo RWD (ie Starion, EX Lancer GSR) is wideblock and all others are narrowblock but a bunch of 4G54 2.6L engines and some 2.4 RWD commercial motors are wideblock too.

*edit* when I say 4WD 2.0 I mean the actual 4WD Delica/4WD L200 with 4G63, not a VR-4/Evo which is AWD.

yes Evo injectors will go in place of the RVR injectors. You'll want to change to an Evo AFM too if you're going to be running an Evo ECU.

and basically yes, a 6 bolt VR-4 4G63 will fit into the van, using the original van mounts on the block, van flywheel/clutch combo and van starter motor. You will need to cut and shut the inlet manifold to point the intake in the right direction, possibly cut a hole in the bulkhead to make room for the CAS, and relocate the thermostat housing using a remote housing. No one yet makes off the shelf RWD 4G63 DOHC headers, but you could probably get away with using an Evo/VR-4 set of headers and rotate the turbo as there isn't going to be a steering box or steering rack in your way like there would be if using the same headers in say a RWD Starion.

An Evo1-3 4G63 will also fit on the RWD mounts, but they have a 7 bolt crank so you are going to run into troubles finding a suitable flywheel as you can't use the VR-4 6 bolt flywheel, or the van 6 bolt flywheel. The 2.4 16V engines use a 7 bolt flywheel but as they are wideblock the flywheel is bigger in diameter and you wont be able to fit it within a narrowblock gearbox.

so would supercheap or repco sell remote therm housings? and evo headers? Will need a few pieces of intercooler piping aswell as the rvr has the old top moutned intercooler, which is no use sitting under a van seat. If i add the upgraded evo injectors will i have to use an evo ecu? seen a few ecu upgrades on trademe, but they only seem to deal with older galant vr4's and no one seems to have a clue about the rvr turbo ecu.

no you wont find any of these bits at repco or supercheap :rolleyes:

look on trademe or the likes of drivenperformance for headers, you can use a corolla 4A remote thermostat housing with custom made adapter on the back of the head like the Starion guys do.

yes as I said above, if you are going to use evo injectors you will want to use an evo AFM and an evo ECU too. There are plenty of Evo1-3 ECUs on trademe. Don't bother with the RVR ECU, that's why no one has a clue about them, because they are never used.

join up here http://www.projectzerog.com/forum/index.php to Project Zero G forums and ask away, that forum is dedicated to RWD 4G63 turbo swaps.

Basically, I think you should just buy one of the already converted VR-4/turbo vans and save yourself the hassle.