Timing keeps slipping up when tensioner is tensioned - 4g63

efp0wa

but if you didn't change the balance shaft belt then it would have broken not long after you changed the cambelt, getting caught up in the cambelt and then breaking the cambelt therefore just wasting all the time you did changing the cambelt, and having to change it again.

do the job once and do it properly.

should have used a thicker higher quality screw driver or a crow-bar instead, and then take off the crank pulley with a rattle-gun or even try the starter motor trick.

In hindsight i probably should have but its no biggie, really need to replace the rear seal anyway.

Electric rattle-gun FTW :lol:8)

Had the bolt off in 2 seconds.

Got the new balance belt on, what should the tension of the belt be? What steps now?

• 1.Tension balance belt
    2.Install water pump
    3.Install new cambelt
    4.Set cambelt tension

??? that correct? I guess I can find all the steps in that guide a few pots back?

yep those steps sound right. You can do the water pump before replacing balance shaft belt though, but you need to fit the water pump before fitting the timing belt tensioner.

tension the balance shaft belt so there's about 5mm max of deflection when you press it in the middle of its longest side. Just make sure it's tensioned enough so it isn't going to slip or vibrate/wobble, and not too tight that it's going to snap. Using a screwdriver or prybar to move the tensioner bearing seems to work alright. There is a special Mitsi tool used for doing it, but it's not totally necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright alright,

Finally got my ass into gear and shit sorted, But need some help...

Having trouble with getting the timing correct.

All timing marks matched up in correct locations, then I put the belt on correct order. Release the tensioner from its slack position into the tensioned position so that belt is tensioned and the bottom lot of pulleys turn approx 2 teethe one tension is applied on the belt. Its driving me nuts, I must have tried 15 times by now and it continues to happen.

What am I doing wrong??? I'm too hesitant to assume this is correct. I want to get her running and this is the only thing stopping me.

Thanks,

George

• 2 weeks later...

-Timing belt on, followed your advice and seemed to work out well.

-New alt and p/s belts on

-Radiator in

Turned motor over by key, everything sounded good. But didn't start because of lack of coil (Somehow managed to lose the coil when I removed it :?:rolleyes: )

But I got a Bosch GT40RT for a good price, just need to mount, and wire it in with new ballast resistor.

Wish me luck all. Moment of truth tonight :-)