Not starting after head gasket changed 4g63 sohc

efp0wa

Hey all,

Been working on a 4g63 sohc in my 1990 Mitsi L300 van.

Replaced the head gasket due to it failing.

I'm having problems though, I have everything back together apart from the aircleaner cover on the carby (maybe this is why i'm having probs but dont think so).

I went to start her up and she just kept turning over and over, carby was getting fuel. Each time it sounded like it was going to start it would pop and bang through the carby or exhaust.

I thought I may have had the dizzy 180 out so I put the motor back to TDC on #1 and put the dizzy back in where I thought the number 1 position for firing was. Not it still doesnt start, i've done this 2 times now. I managed to drain the battery trying to get it going.

I'm frustrated!!!

I'd really appreciate some steps that I could follow so I can eliminate the issue and get the beast to start! I need my van running!!

By the way I have am fairly clued up onto what I'm doing but this has me stumped at the moment. I'm assuming something is wrong with the ignition system....Almost like its firing at the incorrect time causing the front fire and back fire.

Crap, i dont have the workshop pictures on this computer, but it definately sounds like timing out to me. Its really easy to get the dizzy a couple of teeth out when putting it in, as the gear is helical and it rotates as you put it in. Take the dizzy out, and theres a mark on the gear/shaft that lines up with a mark on the housing, then you insert the dizzy so the stud on the inlet manifold is central to the adjustment slot in the distributor (might have to muck around with it a bit to get it past the thermostat housing).

Even then i consistently manage to get them a tooth out...

Totally timing though if its backfiring through the carb.

stick a timing light on to No1 plug lead and crank it over on the starter, if your lucky and its dark enough around the front pulley you should be able to see how far off the timing marks on the pulley you have set your dizzy to.

im guessing about 10 Degrees would be close enough for it to run.

sheepers.