spring compression

davidian

to anyone that's had king spring experiences:

how much height do kings lose when they settle in?

i want to put in new kings which are to be just captive, like within 10mm or so from full weightless lenght. worried about jacking the car up after they settle to find they are not captive anymore.

springs are a mammoth 450-455mm lose, 395 with car jacked, 345 compressed. want to lose as much as possible without forking on shorter shocks at the mo :cry:

also, any way of knowing to what they will compress? prob not

ta

they wont "settle" at all. if your measurements are correct (and i mean CORRECT,you have made sure the tails of the new spring wont ride up on you bottom perch and the top is EXACTLY the same location as stock) then they wont change any form the day you buy them.

king springs are using pretty good steel to make their springs and they are pretty reliable. if you put 1000 million tons of shit in your boot and drive to whanganui and back they may cry "enough" and crush a bit, but i doubt it.

springs dont "settle" as far as im concerned. they find a better place to to locate on the stock perch, they rotate until the tail is in a hollow but they dont settle.

most spring/height change issues ive seen have been due to the spring ends being wrong for the parts of the car that captivate it or crap springs in the first place.

(toyota surf rear springs im looking in your direction, ditto land rover 89-93 rear springs)

and just to add more to the mix, getting shocks shortened isin't that expensive? about 150 for a pair? i think thats what i paid last time.

sheepers

thanks dude,

shocks are eye both ends, been told same as an earlier l.cruiser, not sure if doubleyes can be shortened. they're still good but if i'm doing whats not really meant to be done to it, i think new shocks would be good, cost allowing.

at the mo looking at that, plus lower bump stops in the front together with new springs etc.

kings sound good

I got new springs made by chamberlain and asked for them to be made 80% stiffer and 10mm shorter. Should have told them 10mm shorter with car weight not just 10mm shorter than original springs, cars on stilts now. I assumed when i got them they would "settle" and drop down about 50mm but only $100 per spring brand new.