quad carbs onto a hillman imp

buzzysam

i was thinking about putting a set of quad gsx1100 carbs onto my hillman imp. the older style ones ( got two sets of 1100 and two sets of 750 cc) what would be the best ones to use? since it came off a bike will it have to be gravity fed? could i have a surge tank monuted above the motor and have a return to the fuel tank and use a fuel pump to get the juice up there?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set of gsxr750 carbs on a 1300cc VW and they are far too big for it, part throttle is crap, full throttle is good.

I would say look for a set off a 400cc sportsbike, the later model the better cos replacment parts are impossible to find for reasonable money, for example my carbs need new jet needles (a common failure on mikuni CV carbs) i can order them out of USA but they cost in the region of $50 each... :shock: also it pays to find a carb with a smaller throat than what your inlet ports are as this helps to keep the gas velocity up which helps with low end driveability..

As for fuel, if you have a return to your fuel tank then your sweet with existing pump or a small electric pump, just connect the pump to feed straight back to the tank, take a tee off the line and you will find that your pressure will be next to nothing, but will keep the bowls as full as they need to be.

Post some pics of the carbs you have, if they are the same as mine i might be tempted to buy a set off you for spares :D