hunted's mk2 cortina

Beaver

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well due to exams, and me heading to home for the summer, not much will be happening for the next few months. car will make its final showing on friday at OS meet before being shut away haha.

although I have obtained new release bearing, new clutch plate, full seal/gasket kit for engine so will be nice to spruce things up a bit. plan is to pull car to bits start of next year when i get back to chch, then full respray and replace anything broken while im at it. pull engine/gbox out, replace all seals/gaskets in engine that i fell necesary to try stop the oil flow peeing on the floor haha. also, more low, will get shocks machined shorter still, and figure out what to do with the springs.....and 2 inch blocks in back, replacing the 1 inch ones now, as leaves are already reset dead flat.

ummmmmmmm need to get front bench recoverd.....get rid of gay dumpy exhaust tip ummmmm i think thats probably about it.....

chur chur

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

slight change of plan/direction

originally was going to throw some money/time/effort at getting this mintish when i return to chch after a summer working, which means having it off the road. due to not driving it, and realising the time and oney needed to achive what i wanted (new paint etc), and some time away awith the wagoners, ive had a change in mindset

plan is now to chuck my new steels on it, hopefully filling out the guards, wrap some rubber on them. probably some flappers as well. chrome hupcaps or bullets, havnt decided yet. then drop the car some more/as much as possible. will keep the paint as is for now (assuming it hasent turned to shit after being in a shed for the last 3 months)

ive realised i just want to drive it so yeh, dont really like the idea of having it off the road for months doing panel and paint

• 3 weeks later...

tried new wheels on today. fair to say that the 245/60s are too big haha. two have 235/60s and they are just a touch too wide. the rims them selves are perfect, so will probably go with a 205 something

looks super tough, cant find my camera but will get some pics up at somestage

still cant find camera..... :doubt:

got some 205/60s on the rear, fit perfect. chucked my 2" blocks back in and there is the tiniest amount of rub when it hits bumps, inner lip just needs a gentle tap. fronts were too wide (the rims) stuck out past guards and dont want flares, so they are currently getting an inch taken out of them, and will probably roll 195/60s on the front. then need to lower the front significantly and bobs your uncle.

doesnt have wof at mo so just trying to get it sorted for that

• 1 month later...

right, update time. got wof etc

had a big drama recently. drove the cortina over to wildfoods in hokitika. on the way back coming up the start of arthers pass, the exhaust snapped off at the collector on the manifold. used some steel guitar strings to tie it to the bottom of the car and drove all the way home.....my ears were actually ringing for a week.

IMGP2824.jpg

IMGP2825.jpg

IMGP2826.jpg

IMGP2827.jpg

i took this chance to pull the engine out to give it a clean up, replaced the sump gasket (used to pee oil everywhere) and put in a new clutch plate. hasnt dripped a single drop of oil yet so am stoked.

also stole/borrowed this sweet (authentic) mexican blanket of the girlfriend to cover up all the holes in my seat.

IMGP2876.jpg

and built a new parcel tray, needs finishing touches but is still sweet, and chucked some new speakers in

IMGP2877.jpg

oh and got a new exhaust tip chucked on while the exhaust was getting fixed, looks a fuck load better than the poo ass dumpy tip it used to have

IMGP2879.jpg

IMGP2881.jpg

IMGP2880.jpg

still waiting for elite (wankers) to finish my front steels, then ill stick them on along with these bad boys and more lowering will follow

IMGP2828.jpg

that is all

discuss!! viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18863

hmmmm got wheels on today :doubt:

cant quite pick it but somethings just not right. im running 205/60s on the rear (8" rim) and 185/60s on the front (7" rim). pretty sure i need lower profile, probably even 195s on the back. also, the rims are messy as fuck, ie i havent filled in the cut from getting them narrowed and they need painting etc. also the car needs more low at the front.

hopefully smaller tyres, painted rims and more low will make it look better

any thoughts on colour? i was thinking cream but i think thats too 'out there'. perhaps just silver. i want to get bullet centre caps, so maybe a darker silver, like gun metal?

will get pics tomoro

got springs back today. they had been cut at some stage so i had them reshaped to fit the spring cups better, and provide a bit more low. wheel will be fixed up tomorrow (apraently... :doubt: )

looking back, i should have gone more low (still can, and will do at somestage, just costs money) and i shouldnt have had so much taken out of the front rims... :doubt:

ah well, cant be perfect (well it can, but i cant afford it)

• 2 weeks later...

found a manifold for carbs :D . will be a good study week project....haha

am trying to decide on either painting the current rims and getting proper hub caps for them, or getting a set of 13x7 superlights (if i sell my old rims...anyone? :D:D )

actually have no money, so maybe just get them painted and see how they look (cheapest option haha)

id be lieing if i said i wasnt excited :D:D

IMGP2909.jpg

IMGP2908.jpg

IMGP2907.jpg

IMGP2906.jpg

its a tight fit haha, especially by the brake reservoir, not sure what il do there. just need to get some studs, and a fuel pressure regulator and then start the ordeal that is setting up the throttle linkages haha wish me luck.

also, have decided to convert to alternator after burning out my generator (or something). so car is on hold for a while. am flat out at uni so will probably have to wait till study week :twisted::twisted: haha

have got studs and soft mounts now, so carbs are all mounted up on manifold.

Biggest issue (in terms of fitting) is that the brake reservoir is right in the way (see photos in last post). They fit, but the mouth of one carb is up against the braker reservoir. I have some pics of another mk2 with twins, and it seems they have a much smaller reservoir (much liek the clutch reservoir, which can be seen in the photo next to the big plastic brake reservoir). Is there anything wrong with swapping out the reservoir for a smaller one? i may even be able to find one that is not as deep, but taller to retain the same volume...

there is also something else in the way, but it can be shifted easily. with the reservoir out of the way there will be plenty of room for a nice set of trumpets =D

i also think i can use the standard dizzy cap. was told id need a side exit cap, but i think i can make it work, just requires a bit of spagetti work haha

also have a fuel pressure regulator that ill need to tap in, where the best place to get fuel fittings?

gpong to be a lot of head scratching i feel to get these going....will be worth i though :D i think haha

hmmm having a few issues with the generator/charging side of things

have an alternator on its way (waiting for the dude to send it) but im getting sick of not driving it. got another gen of tardme but its fucked, so i have two dud gens.

• 3 weeks later...

anyways, while im here....

have finally got the alternator in, seems to have fixed my battery problems (fingers crossed).,

am smack int he middle of exams and study at the mo, and have no money nor time so things are slow haha. am working for 2 weeks in the holidays so will have some coin to throw at this.

ive been thinking alot about my wheels, and want to dress them up a bit/a lot.

am super keen on some chrome dress rings, and some white wall flappers. ideally i want some chrome hupcaps to match, but am having trouble finding some to fit (250mm id, anyone?). the next decision is too pick what color to paint the rims. i quite like black, especially with the whitewalls and chrome. but then black might not look as flashy as an actual color.

so yeh, any thoughts? or does anyone have some 14" flappers, or 14" chrome rings? save me forking out for new ones haha.