4age fuel pump failure

Vintage Grumble

After doing a Motokhana on the weekend, while driving into Toe-rags my car started loosing power, so I pulled over and had a look, but couldnt see anything wrong, but it wouldnt free rev properly, but idled ok. When I went to drive away, it stalled, and would restart but fade away to a stop, did this a few times, and after a while just wouldnt fire at all. We know its got spark, we know the injectors are firing, we know the timing is rite, and that all sensors are working, and the plugs are not fouled. But you can smell raw fuel out the exhaust, and mist comes out the plug holes when winding it over. Havent had a chance to test fuel pressure yet, but if you listen to the gas tank, the pump sounds like a facet pump, making kinda ticking sounds, rather then the normal high pitched whine that sort of pump should make, we are thinking the pump has given up, still pumping, but at shit all pressure, so what I want to know is, has any one had a 4age pump fail on them? Is it common? Any help would be good.

Ever run it dry? They tend not to like that... Even for a short time (like fuel surge in hard cornering) it's usually bad news as the fluid it's pumping (petrol in this case) is the means of cooling and lubrication

Other possible causes would be stress on the pump caused by a blocked fuel filter or faulty pressure regulator, it might be worth checking out whether your tank has shit in it getting stirred up by "spirited driving" too

On a side note it's a very good reason not to fill up your car when the tanker is there or has just been, the high flow transfer pumps stir up all the shit that inevitably settles in the storage tanks over the years

Cheers for the info. I have never run it dry as far as I know, when ever I do an event I fill the tank. I happen to have a new filter, was just to lazy to change it, so I will do that, but, Got home from work, and car started first pop (cunt, had to be towed 100km in the dark sunday night, with no battery power, fun) so put fuel ratio meter on and went for a drive, the mixture was going all over the place, and leaned out real bad when excellerating, and then wouldnt go over about 3000rpm with load on, so rolled home and put on a fuel rail with a gauge plumbed in, was only getting about 15psi, pump sounded odd again, motor wouldnt start, then the pump gave up completely, so forced it on with the lap top, and I gave the fuel tank a kick, and bang, it came on again. So im about 99.99% sure bearings/bushes in pump are fucked. So will pull it out tonight.

Next question: is a 20V silver top pump the same as an AE86 one?