cortina mk4 5 speed sierra conversion

redline racer

Hi all, quick qusetion regarding putting a 5spd sierra gearbox into a mk4 coathanger, i heard that a sierra drivshaft will bolt in without needing to be shortened. is this true? (standard diff) as far as im aware the standard cortina d/shaft needs to be shortened slightly, would think the sierra one would too?

any advice appreciated

cheers

No Sierra shafts wont fit, the center hanger is in the wrong spot for memory.

The factory mk4 shaft will fit perfectly, but a 1 piece shaft from a mk3 is much better if you can find one.

If you don't already know your stock gearbox crossmember won't work with the Sierra box you need a crossmember from an auto mk3/4/5, you have to fit them backwards and drill a couple of new holes in it to line up with the floor mounts.

Your Cortina speedo cable is too short as well, a Sierra one will work.

Yep as he said ^^

Although, if you car is lowered heaps you will need to shorten the driveshaft. Auto crossmember will work by slotting a couple of the holes. Standard speedo cable will "just" stretch if your smart about it. Gearstick hole needs to be cut back a little bit around the edges as well.

Yep as he said ^^

Although, if you car is lowered heaps you will need to shorten the driveshaft. Auto crossmember will work by slotting a couple of the holes. Standard speedo cable will "just" stretch if your smart about it. Gearstick hole needs to be cut back a little bit around the edges as well.

My mk4 was low and I had no trouble with the stock shaft being to long.

Its been a while since I have done the conversion but I'm sure 2 of the holes are way to far out for slotting to reach.

My shifter was right in the middle of the hole as it should be since the 5 speed and 4 speeds shifters are in the same spot.

yeh as long as you arent insanely low like i had mine at one point - (shit pic)

cortinacutsd4.jpg

driveshaft just keeped banging into the back of the box constantly haha

yeh gearstick is in the same place, although i found that the edges of the mounting plate for the gearstick banged into the tunnel occasionally.