RB20E, A31 Cefiro problems need diagnostic procedures......

oldschoolmotors

Please help me I cant find a good site that tells me the diagnostic procedures for my 1990 RB20E a31 cefiro. It was running fine one day and the next it seems as tho it has dropped a cylinder, being fuel injected and all electrical it could be a fault anywhere and I would like to see If the computer will tell me whats wrong before I go pulling things apart. It is totally stock standard granpappy spec so its not like the computer has to think about mods. Cheers I hope someone can help me.

Hey thanks for that Ive already done that seems to be no2 but its more of a miss rather than a cylinder totally not working I have a feeling it may be a blocked injector as there is a major 'tick' from the intake side also would a stuck lifter cause a cylinder to mis like that? I will replace fuel filter and run injector cleaner next week.

Check the plugs? Take another lead off another cylinder and put it on and see if it runs on 4 or 5 to elimnate that side of things. Id think fuel issue would be spread across the entire engine not just one specific cylinder, worth a try thou

do rb20e's have normal coils or electronic ones , a failed coil can cause those problems . but seeings as rb20's dont have individual coils im gonna asme thats not the problem .

if the engine is like my ca18 (same kind of era-ish) theres a knob you turn with a screwdriver . its should be in the ful clockwise position , you turn it a 1/8th turn and go to diag mode 3 or 4 (the blinks indcate) , then when it blinks siad amount of time you turn full anticlockwise and it will spit out a code red is tens green it ones .. e.g 5 red 5 green = 55 .

but being obd 2 i dont think it will help you a hell of alot

im sure rb's have diff ecu's though

Check the plugs? Take another lead off another cylinder and put it on and see if it runs on 4 or 5 to elimnate that side of things. Id think fuel issue would be spread across the entire engine not just one specific cylinder, worth a try thou

do rb20e's have normal coils or electronic ones , a failed coil can cause those problems . but seeings as rb20's dont have individual coils im gonna asme thats not the problem .

if the engine is like my ca18 (same kind of era-ish) theres a knob o he ecu you turn with a screwdriver . its should be in the ful clockwise position , you turn it a 1/8th turn and go to diag mode 3 or 4 (the blinks indcate) , then when it blinks siad amount of time you turn full anticlockwise and it will spit out a code red is tens green it ones .. e.g 5 red 5 green = 55 .

but being obd 2 i dont think it will help you a hell of alot

im sure rb's have diff ecu's though

Hey Thanks for you help guys it seems to be no4 plug or lead shorting to the head as wen I unplug the lead from the dizzy cap the ticking noise i was talkn about goes away so now i have to pull all the induction pipes off to get to the spark plugs lol arnt rice burners so great lmao i so prefer my 1700 twin side draughted pushrod crossflow in my mk1 cortina lol