sheepers MS51 Crown which is on the road and cursing like a boss.

sheepers

the resurrection of the chassis has begun.

this is the cross tube the the upper control arm mounts to. its plated over the joint. the shape allows for more surface area of weld and also to spread the stress of the joint rather than having a stress concentration at the edge of a square plate.

2012-11-20210522.jpg

sheepers.

• Like 1

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

more of the chassis is back together.

this is the rear bit that the boot floor bolts to.

i didn't narrow this bit because i didn't want to move the body mounts or the rear bumper mounting. it was easier to cut it off and then weld it back on with an offset at the joint. it turned out to be way less of an offset than i thought.

the shape of the chassis at this point lends itself to being wider and looking factory.

like this,

2012-11-21210845.jpg

2012-11-21210804.jpg

2012-11-21210830.jpg

2012-11-21210912.jpg

more will occur tomorrow night.

sheepers.

• Like 1

chassis is all back together and finished. body mount holes moved and all the joints plated.

2012-11-24164200.jpg

15mm dosen't sound like much but it looks like miles! tis the gap now between the rail and the wheel, previously this gap was 0.

2012-11-24164133.jpg

now for the mounting of the air bags.

the plan is to attack it tomorrow and hopefully make a decent dent in the rear bag mounts.

with any luck ill be posting some pics of the rear bags mounted in the chassis this time tomorrow.

sheepers.

• 2 weeks later...

now the chassis goes up and down.

it took a while to get the bags set up at an angle that allowed them to move properly as the diff goes through its weird motion but im happy with how they actuate now.

they still function as the bump stop and have enough clearance as they move.

now ill do the panhard rod mounts (moving them to accommodate the new lowness), mount the rear swaybar and find some shocks that fit.

this is how the mount looks in the chassis, the other side is almost finished but i ran out of gas.

20121204_071843.jpg

sheepers.

i was fucking around with the idea of a watts link for the rear but i did some guesstimates with panhard rod setup and came to the conclusion that it would be a lot of work for very little.

so I've changed the panhard setup to add length and get the rod level at ride height. all this adds up to a total side shift of 4mm which is not an issue for this car. im happy with that so thats how it will be.

its all just tacked in place but everything works and clears everything else.

oh, and i mounted the sway bar also. so the rear is finished save some gusseting and more welding on the diff.

now to give the chassis a coat of paint and then im going to make an exhaust for it.

this is at full drop, the photo makes the panhard angle look more than it is.

20121208_172936.jpg

at ride height. although it doesn't look like it the bar is level to the car at this height.

20121208_173041.jpg

also, this is the lowest part of the car at full drop. the gearbox mount is about 3mm off the ground.

20121208_173122.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i really did not expect the exhaust parts distributors to be open but they were.

so i did some more.

20121227_181235_zps84f904c8.jpg

20121227_181251_zps9006210e.jpg

20121227_181306_zps1a3bd266.jpg

20121227_181321_zps9b397963.jpg

the next thing to do is turn the front 3 pipes down and merge them into the collector. ill put the collector for the back three next to the steering box. from there the two pipes will run next to each other under the drivers feet then into one pipe.

ill probably get to do a bit more tomorrow.

sheepers

• 2 weeks later...

after what seems like a hundred years of torture i have finally got the underside of the body cleaned of old underseal, de-rusted, prepped and primed.

tomorrow ill underseal it and then i can put the chassis back. exciting times.

20130109_2017381.jpg

20130109_201812.jpg

sheepers.

• Like 1

after heaps of fucking around with the undersealing its finally done.

i ran out of underseal twice because i stupidly didn't get enough the first two times. anywho its done.

ill do the wheel wells when i finish the guards and the rust in the corners.

20130115_215702.jpg

20130115_215723.jpg

while i was stuffing about i made some brake lines and a fuel line.

i wanted to run the brake line across the car so it comes up under the master cylinder without crossing the firewall.

if i did it again i would be smart enough to move the whole line onto the other side of the diff so it just runs down the drivers side straight to the master.

i need to run an adjustable brake bias valve so i can fine tune the brakes and i didn't want to put it in the engine bay so i put in in the chassis rail, ill make a cover for it so it doesn't get bashed around, but never mind that. what that means is that i can remove the line that goes across the crossmember if i need to take it out for any reason. its got a fitting at both ends so it can come out if i need it to.

20130115_192626.jpg

20130115_192641.jpg

20130115_192653.jpg

thursday should have the body back on the chassis.

sheepers.

• 2 weeks later...

exhaust is finished. i got it sitting really high so i think i should be good for clearance. the lowest part is still the gearbox crossmember by about 20mm so the zorst should be fine.

I've replaced the gearbox bolts with countersinks so the heads don't get smashed off.

also, im running one hotdog and no muffler. it was like this before and was pretty quiet so I'm hoping it will still be quiet-ish with only the hotdog. time will tell.

20130126_170306.jpg

20130126_170347.jpg

20130126_170424.jpg

this is supposed to show how high the exhaust is but it doesn't really show anything?

20130126_170521.jpg

sheepers.

• 2 weeks later...

oh hi.

once again things have been happening.

this time not good things. about a week ago i cut my finger which resulted a severed nerve, two stitches in the tendon, and six stitches in my finger.

20130201_200202.jpg

this has caused me no end of strife because its now taking me ages to do anything. and its very sore if i knock it on anything.

im still working on the car but its slow going.

here is a video of a car going up and down.

th_20130206_190435.jpg

whats happening there then?

the car has 3 height settings, it starts at "full low", goes to "high" then to "ride hight", then "full low" then back to "ride hight".

i havent set any of the resolution or sensitivity settings so it takes a while to find the correct spot for each level. ill fix this with some stuffing with the settings.

basically, when the compressor stops after each move its at the correct height, im changing the heights with the remote.

so it works. i need to tidy up some of the wires and such but its 99% finished.

happy days. (except for my finger)

sheepers.

• Like 3

so now the car moves up and down by itself i thought id try to make it move forwards and backwards too.

wires are being installed and so are the things that need wires connected to them. like the electric power steering pump.

this is the bracket for the pump. it goes inside the front of the guard and wont be seen.

20130210_173824.jpg

what else is needed for driving him?

wires, throttle linkage (everything from the pedal to the carbs), brake lines from the master down to the chassis, clutch line, power steering lines and cooler, radiator.

probably other things too.

sheepers.

• 1 month later...
Guest sheepers

right then, so long time no update.

nick the sparky has almost finished doing a full re-wire of the car and my goal of not being able to see a single wire in the engine bay is looking obtainable. the coil is mounted on the side of the block and all the engine wires come through the firewall down beside the starter motor. the alternator wires loop under the sump and up under the alt. ive made a cover for the back of the alternator so you cant see the plug or the wires. we should be able to fire up the motor this week depending on a few things.

20130324_121959.jpg

ive finished the throttle pedal too. it now pulls a cable that runs inside under the dash and comes out with the engine wires down beside the starter, then it loops up under the throttle linkage. the carb linkage isint all pretty yet but it works.

20130324_122107.jpg

20130324_122145.jpg

in other news the mods to the inner guards are finished as well. ive cut them to allow more clearance for the wheel at full drop then added a more "tubbed" style flange that goes out to the outer guard. all the holes have been welded up and ive added mounts for the power steering cooler on the drivers side and a mount for the horns on the passengers side. ive also added mounting points for the power steering hoses which run on the inside of the inner guard out of site. i also had to raise the cutout for the upper A arm because at full drop the top arm was hitting the lip.

tomorrow im taking these, the radiator suppoprt panel and the guards to the painters to get all green. that WILL be exciting.

20130324_121830.jpg

20130324_121905.jpg

and these are my horns all nice and shiny.

20130324_122125.jpg

in "other things that have been done" style news ive flared the front guards a bit. ive trimmed the lip and folded ti up flat then bought the guard flare out about 7mm. it doesn't sound like much but its made a huge difference to the amount of clearance the tyre has at full drop.

also all the parts of the power steering circuit are finished so there are hoses and a header tank and a cooler all connected.

a new radiator is being made too.

sheepers.

Guest sheepers

the only wires that were still visible in the engine bay were the plug leads. i had a few different ideas about how i wanted to run them but for one reason or another those various ideas wouldn't work. then i though about those old style tubes that run the lead inside like on luxury cars from around the 30's. i spoke to my friendly local sparky about the pros and cons of doing this and we decided it would work.

so, here is what ive made. the leads run through the tube and out a slot that runs along the bottom. ive also made a cover for the top of the dizzy so you cant see the leads or the dizzy at that end either. the leads arn't in yet but they do fit down the tube (just). both the tube and the cover will get powder coated black.

20130329_154050.jpg

20130329_154110.jpg

20130329_154123.jpg

20130329_154159.jpg

sheepers.

• Like 2