Widening steels and swapping the centres

Jase

cheers brad clears that up can put a 3" band in at the narrowest point and reweld the centres in ,

as long as its 3mm mild etc,

will reverse the bands as they have a sweet dish and hide the extra band on the inside,

grinding welds off tommorow it is

No, you can only widen a rim by 51mm if its originally narrower than 10 inches and if its 10 inches wide or larger you can widen it by 76mm.

If you want to go from 5 to 8 you will have to get centreless rims like loceda and tom did. You can also band these, up to 51mm so you could legally have 10inch wheels.

Flipping the centres is also a good idea to get a nice looking dish but if you are widening the narrowest point of the rim then you pretty much can't go wrong.

Heres a good little help site. I would do some of the stuff differently to them but its a good guideline to follow.

cut%20drum2.jpg

And remember, elite will save you all the fucking around for about $260. They are in chch but its worth considering because widening wheels takes a lot of pissing around which ever way you look at it.

$260 plus freight shit those rims weigh about 20kg each let alone with a band in them,

i think i'll have a go with the mates big lathe this weekend,

get my other mate to roll us a band each and tig the buggers back together,

i promise you officer they are standard like that from the states rofl,

plus the band will be on the inside,

realistically i have 5 rims i can try it on 4 and if it doesn't work i'll still have one really good standard one lol

on that pdf file it says wheels over 10" diameter can be widened 76mm,

mine are r16 which is well over that original width doesn't play into it other than in the old shit,

regardless i will give it a go and ricks a fully qualled fitterwelder so they will be strong