Yakuza-Cruiser's '79 Cressida Coupe with a 1uz & Toyoglide

Duddley

I've had my Cressida for about a month now and have just aquired a '07 3uz 6spd auto box and have a 1uz on the way.

I think this should be a first.. Hooking up a very new gearbox to an old engine. From what I've been told it should all work! (I'm hoping).

Will take pics and let you fullas know whats happening while it happens!

Should be complete in 2 months max I hope..

Let me know what you guys recon.

• 1 year later...

Time for a much needed update!

Well as most of you know, I've had the V8 and cressida goin since this time last year and I couldn't be happier with it! Well, I guess a super charger slapped on there would make me pretty damn happy!

We couldn't work out how to install the 6 speed easily so have just gone for a 4 speed semi-auto and it works just fine for now.

Anyway, since you guys have seen it last I've had it fully certed and it's now all lush and road legal. I've done some other bits and peices too like got a simple bigger exhaust fitted and fixed a few leaks around the windows and replaced the cam belt and other stuff you prolly don't care hearing about.

But the awesomest thing I've done since getting the V8 is got some lush boso wheels!

new-wheels2.jpg

You guys have no doubt saw them on trademe. They're 13x9s" and have no idea what the make of them are. The rims are steel and are welded but the centers come out nicely. The centers are at the powdercoaters right now getting golded! Then one day I may get the rims hard-chromed but that aint a huge biggie.

The tyres that came with them are wet slicks and are absolutly wrecked. So I got them pulled off and am going to stretch some 215/50r13s on two of the 9s for the front, then I also have two 10" wide rims that I'm gona use for the back and stretch the same tyres onto. I'll have to get some flares cause these wheels stick out quite a bit. Then maybe get a shallower sump made up for the V8 as I can't lower it anymore due to that.

Then I wana get a bash plate too cause I'm too impatient to slow down for anything (just like the rest of you hooligans!) A bash plate with SPIKES!

Will post some more pics when I have them! Let me know what you think in the discussion //oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=13664

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey ladies!

It's been a while. I'm gona try and keep this thread more updated with stuff that I wana do to the crussty and stuff.

cressidabeach.jpg

Here's a taste of what it's lookin like now.

Got the guards all lushly done, the wheels are nice n dishy and the paint is still as crusty as ever.

One thing I'm gona get done soon is the exhaust. It's FAR too quiet as it is now. So plan is to make up a flange after the resonator so I can simply unclamp/unbolt it and whip on a sweet boso style exhaust. Then if I get into shit with the fuzz I can slap the normal one back on. So am gona have two ends to swap between..

bosozoku-exhaust-of-the-week-cressida-in-peace.JPG

I'd love this, but the fuzz wouldn't. So this is the kinda thing I'm keen on for the boso end.

bosozoku-exhaust-of-the-week-toyota-soarer-gz10-pic1.jpg

Something like this would be chur for the more legal one.

So what you guys and gals think? Open to choice suggestions.

Discussion thread!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Have finally made progress on this thing! Not much, but some..

Got some new free flow headers that should fit. I've had a rogh measure up and look as thought they should fit in nice.

new-headers.jpg

I gotta swap them with the headers with the existing ones that look like this..

welded-header.jpg

The dude that put the engine in decided it would be a good idea to (badly) weld the exhaust to the headers. They've now got weak etc. and have holes n shit.

I now have a spare gastank that I'm going to get cut open so I can get my soarer 1uz fuel pump in there so there won't be no mega annoying external fuel pump noise no more.

gas-tank.jpg

new-fuel-pump-1.jpg

Anyone else done anything like this before?

So plan is to take engine out one weekend, swap the headers over, take car to some GC that can make up a sweet exhaust in similar style to simon's (uterus) soarer and get some boso ends made up like the above post. Going to also swap the leaky steering box with a spare I have at same time. Will hopefully have new gas tank ready to swap over too.

Have also stripped the dash etc. to get the heater and fans etc out to fix them and get them all go again.

wire-party.jpg

Woo I ought to do this updating thing more often!

20111005075523.jpg

That's the current state of the exterior. Shit everywhere!

All the panels on the front are from a wrecked rx30 I raped the other weekend. Panels were in much better nick than mine. However original grille and lights though. You'll notice the guards don't have the mirrors on them no more. Thinking about modding these ones to accomodate the mirrors with a small hole in the tops.. Although also thinking about getting my original guards professionally panelbeated and then get a bolt on flare kit.

Getting there! Slowly.

• 2 weeks later...

Dived into the car today with my trusty multimeter to work out why the dash fan wasn't getting power. Traced it back to some plugs mounted either side of the engine bay..

fried-plug.jpg

So got 2x 18pin plugs to cut and swap over. Anyone know where I can easily get them from? Jaycar?

• 3 months later...

Bit of update..

* Changed over those massive plugs and now there's no drop in voltage on the other side. High five!

* Got that fuel pump stuck in only to find it's pumping piss all fuel to the engine - voltage at the fuel pump plug is 12v, then drops to approx 6v after it's plugged in. Guessing it's a fucked pump so am thinking of getting Walbro pump (which is what I shoulda done all along..)

And I've done some other fixes like cosmetic things eg. make some dents less obvious.. Then have also stood and stare at it with a beer thinking if I can be bothered sanding the whole thing back, getting rid of rust, bogging it all up and paint it..

Will update when I have the pump going! chur

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Daayum. only a month till nats and have a list of shit in order to pass wof.

- right hand headlamp to work and dip full - DONE

- front wheel arches required - DONE

- drivers seatbelt to retract better - DONE

- play in top hat of both front shocks - DONE

- play in RHF lower ball joint - DONE

- play in LHF wheel bearing - DONE

- RHF tyre through to canvas - DONE

- secure rear springs - DONE

- weld up exhaust leaks x2

- wiper blades - DONE

Not too much to have done as ya can see. Just annoying shitty shit things.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Seems like these updates are years apart.

cressida3june2012.jpg

This is it. All legal eagle.

Notice the bolt-ons on the front and the massive amount of gap at the back. Back is an inch and half higher than the front. Nurse! Gimme 1.5" cc's of drop STAT

cressida3june2012vert.jpg

Glory shot of the bolt-ons.

Height is just the way I like it - nice n low but not hellaflush either. Functional.

I'm not totally sold on the bolt-ons. But they're super chur until I strip and do all the panel work one day (hopefully towards the end of this year)

cressidaluggage1.jpg

Have bought a boot luggage rack that was for a Corvette Stingray. Not attached yet as I gotta get off my ass and find some suitable screws for it.

Not sold on this either, however it is growing on me! I wouldn't slap this on if I didn't have a spare boot lid. Holiday Coupe for the whole family lyfe?

• 8 months later...

Hey there stranger, haven't seen you in a while

Here's the state of it:

20121208104727.jpg

20121208104703.jpg

20130209083825.jpg

Things I've done:

• I've got it sitting at a height I'm pretty happy with (although looks a little high in the front) and have worked the guards at the back for minimal rubbing and comfy ride on our crappy NZ roads.
  • Got a Nardi steering wheel. It's a bit loved but nothing a sand and polish won't fix.
  • Have added a flange before the back muffler so I can have a few different exhaust tips made up. Currently have the original muffler etc for WOF spec and a straight pipe with a twin end which looks a bit odd (this is what you woulda seen from Hawke's Boes mk5).
  • New high flowing walbro fuel pump in the tank! No crazy loudest fuel pump ever.
  • Other bits here and there. Mostly cosmetic

Things that are yet to get done (in the short term):

• Have decided the 75mm flares are too wide. They're messing up the lines of the car. I've got the pair of 55mm flares I used on the front of the car for ages and have test fitted them to the back. They're perfect width! So am going to get a second pair for the front. Will hold onto the 75mm ones incase I get my hands on some 12j/13j wheels.
  • Get the "stuttering when warm" problem sorted.

Speaking of the stuttering when warm. This has been happening ever since I've swapped up the fuel pump and I'm getting stuck in working out what the problem is. Car runs awesome for the first half hour into its run (around town 50km, out of town 100km etc,) and it'll then start to hesitate and stutter while cruising and even idling. Accelerating seems to make it come out of its stutter but returns again as soon as it idles again.

I've replaced the sparkplugs, fuel filter, checked the AFM, throttle body, plugs, sensors.. you name it. Still no change. I'm thinking of getting my hands on some 7mgte injectors and seeing if that makes a difference. Or perhaps the standard ECU is struggling with the increase of fuel flow at temperature? Any ideas?

Let me know what you recon!?

• 2 months later...
Guest Duddley

Post Nats 2013 update..

11823_10151594816551041_278971824_n.jpg

Woo!

Some other shots of that thing that won that award..

149064_170049696486640_1885831657_n.jpg

img0432hu.jpg

img0415hnj.jpg

img0449zs.jpg

img0436nw.jpg

Managed to sort out that stuttering problem. It was/is the water temp sensor being a huge dick. I unplugged it and it went awesome when it was at temperature, but was impossible to start when cold. So I've made a killswitch so I can cold start easy, but can then turn off when it's at temperature. Will properly fix this after I take the plunge and get a link ecu (shoulda started with one all along).

Plans now are to:

1. Park it up and do it justice. I'm planning to strip off all the paint, take out all the rust and patch it up, fix/replace missing broken bits and pieces and get all the panels lining up right.
  2. During this time, I also hope to swap in a hilux axle that a mate gave me, manualise it (finally) and get the engine tuned properly (already mentioned the link ecu).
  3. Hope to one day see it all in one drivable piece again.

I could go and get out a huge loan and get this done quick, but I'm going to enjoy getting this all done with spending as little money as I can (aka. gona be a cheap cunt). This means I'll be asking a million dumb questions about how to do stuff and learning heaps of stuff in the process. Not to mention almost killing myself with powertools/chemicals/parts/car itself..

I'll try be a good guy and keep this thread updated.

Tu meke. Duds

• Like 3