Beans mk2 cortina 1600 EFI

bean.101

Discussion page http://oldschool.co....+beans +cortina

This is the day i purchased the beast for $300.

img0114ri.jpg

mk2rear.jpg

img0113ll.jpg

The next day with plenty of enthusiam ditched battery mount

.img0115ft.jpg

Not much happening on the cortina as ive got the evo in bits. Its in needs of abit bog already cut most of the rust out, most of it was in the sills

.img0116my.jpg

Got sum primer on the beast finaily, it's been a while cuming as im not much of a panel beater. I got the car primed at my mates panel shop so cheers to the boys at RO Jones in Christchurch they are also going to paint it once ive rubbed the guide coat off

img0128tq.jpg

as you can see its all painted now, im quite eager to get it back together

img0129zh.jpg

Here's a shot of the cylinder head im going to run it's a 1600 xflow head with a combustion chamber machined in to it, doing this will enable me to run a 3sge rod with a Sr18 piston, this combo is alot lighter than the standard factory piston and rod and gives me a better rod to stroke ratio.

img0125tx.jpg

Flow tested the head in the previous photo, flowed really good at high lift[600 thou] but not so good at low lift due to the massive ports, so ive decided to machine up another with smaller ports to get some verlocity this will help to build torque at lower rpm which is in my oppion better for the road.

exhaustports.jpg

img0121uv.jpg

This is when i was working out where to weld the air filter backing plate, i am on a budget so i have found some cheaper options for filters, i am going to use honda XR400 dirt bike filters. I made these trumpets using one of the orginal 1600 pistons as a former after abit of turning in the lathe.

img0119yef.jpg

img0120th.jpg

Dumbing up on the bench things are coming along nicely. Took abit of turning to modifiy the sr20 distributor to fit into the block and fit under the inlet manifold.

img0126cl.jpg

Front veiw, I have finished building the engine I am using my mitsi alternator from my mk1 cortina, alot of parts have been used on the mk2 cortina project as i have given up on running ford engines in my mk1 cortina and have opted for a CA18det

This photo shows Honda starter motor addaption one of the best things if made for the mk2 those interia starters give me the shits, i used to run one on my mk1 1600 EFI turbo.

img0092dw.jpg

The adapter

img0091jb.jpg

One year later i have finially got the engine in. I was a little dubious to see how much hp it would make as i have changed alot of things internally from the original set up. It made 122hp on NZEFI dyno in Christchurch with quite good low down torque which was surprising, as it's running a agressive cam in it 460thou lift and a fair amount of duration. Also had to make a custom tappet cover as rocker shaft was lifted 6mm because of valves being resess into the deeper combustion chamber and also had to make my pushrods 6mm longer.

img0118kl.jpg

Had to make a new tappet cover as lifting the rocker shaft 6mm ment the rockers stated hitting the orginal

tappet cover.

img0237gu.jpg

I have decided to run RB/CA coils

img0238tzs.jpg

Just need to sort the interior out now really need new carpet, ive had alloy door cards made up so that sorted that area up im also running a GT dash pad that houses Volts, Oil pressure, Water temp, and a Tacho. So thats a small briefing on the mk2 theres heaps of boring stuff ive left out as im shit at typing and up loading photos. Im hoping to get my mk1 cortina 2door ca18det build on here shortly as this is my favourite cortina, but i have to say the mk2 has definitly grown on me over the last year and ahalf.

Abit of progress on the mk2. It's been over two years since if had it on the road as i sold the engine to pay a gst bill i had, so looking forward to driving it again, ive decided to fit a sr20. I bought the sr20de off my work mate for $300, he had already pulled the head off and was going to do a plus t conversion. So i decided to do the rings and check the bottom end out. This engine must have done low K's as it was in mint condition. So i done a valve grind and surfaced 20thou off the head to get the comp up. Set the squish to 40thou, thats the piston to head clearance. So hopfully it should go good with these small mod's.

mypictures222.jpg

Here's Martin woking his magic on the gearbox tunnel

mypictures240.jpg

mypictures235.jpg

These are the engine mounts Martin and i made, we got a few riggers of finest lager,and got in to it, we had a mount off, he made the passenger side i done the drivers, on the 3rd rigger in things whern't going as good as we would of liked, but they cleaned up good.

Motor siting on engine mounts

mypictures238.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got abit sorted this weekend. Got the new gearbox cross member made. I made it out of 40mm by 10mm flat bar. It mount to the floor via two 3mm sandwich plates.

mypictures246.jpg

mypictures247.jpg

mypictures243.jpg

Cutting the tunnel out made it real easy to work on. It's alot easier to cut out the orginal gearbox mounts out on the garage floor than on your back under the car.

mypictures241.jpg

Also got 90% of the tunnel welded into place.

mypictures242.jpg

• 1 month later...

It's been awhile since i last updated, I managed to get a fair bit done over the holiadays. My mate Phil came over and wired the sr up for me, It was pritty sweet the thing starter first pop.

mypictures262.jpg

Next job was sorting my exhaust out, So Phil and i cut up so pipes and came up with these. I havn't welded them up yet.

mypictures264.jpg

mypictures265.jpg

mypictures266.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Iv welded up the extractors and ground the head manifold flange at work, I gave them a coat of stove bright. Iv found stove Bright to be great as it dosen't flake off.

mypictures267.jpg

mypictures268.jpg

Here's a picture showing where i mounted the airflow meter, it would of been nicer to get it abit further away from the throttle body, but this just seemed to be the easiest opition.

mypictures315.jpg

mypictures316.jpg

Here's how the cortina is sitting at the moe,

mypictures317.jpg

• 1 year later...

It's been awhile since ive done much work on the mk2 since i got it certed last year, so i have decided to do coil overs in it.

It will be good practice for when i do the mk1 struts. I cut the spring base off with a cut off wheel then cleaned the tubes up in the lathe

001ith.jpg

Im running VW passat inserts, so i have shortened the struts 40mm.

004fge.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have test fitted the VW shocks, i have made a small spacer to locate the shock in the bottom of the strut. I have also made a spacer ring to locate the top of the shock.

002vun.jpg

Finished the coilovers, went with 6kg tein springs 200mm long, Also put new bearings in the top strut mounts. Had to paint the struts in ford blue left over from someone's engine at work. Really looks average with the springs. Also made some spacers for the top of the shocks to locate the top mounts.

0082y.jpg

• 3 months later...

Kennelly Cams works out of our workshop. And PK the onwer said he'd grind my cam's. So i pulled them out one morning at work.

newcams002.jpg

Cams out

newcams003.jpg

In the grinder

newcams004.jpg

Bleeding down the hydraulic lifters

newcams007.jpg

Going back together

newcams006.jpg

Sorted, rocker cover back on.

newcams001.jpg

newcams005.jpg

Thanks to PK at Kennelly, Definitely got more top end power.

• Like 1