Help regarding me 1983 Corona (Over Revving)

penco

OK, let me try and explain this. When ever i drive my car before it has fully warmed up it drives like a dream.

As soon as it seems to warm up it begins to over rev, for example if I'm at the lights you can slowly hear the idle creep up, so when you go to put it into first it will kinda clunk into it. And when it comes to just driving around the burbs, the car kinda drives it self - just because since it is kinda constantly over revving it will accelerate the car when ever I'm in gear (if that makes sense?)

Also, if I put it in neutral and push down the accelerator, it wont drop back down to normal revs, it will kinda stay at how high you revved it and SLOWLY make its way back down.

Anyone got any ideas?

more details bro.. like what engine does it have? probably 1800cc pushrod 3T-C carb but you could have a wagon or somethign with 1S/2S motor who knows.

It could be throttleplate and mechanism sticking, or the wax element which controls cold starts is faulty and sticking on. Best way is to take air box off carb and check the auto choke is opening when it's fully warmed up.

You could also have a vacuum leak which could be causing the high idle when warm too. There's many possibilities dude and without more info us here on teh interwebs can only take stabs in the dark.

Was it alright and this problem has just occured or has it been like this since you bought it.

Perhaps the carb was never choking while cold so they previous owner fixed the not idling while cold problem by turning up the idle, then when it does get warm the idle picks up to where it should be.

had this problem in my gemini and I just wound the idle down and warmed it up every time I drove it. Abit gay though.

Problem will almost deffinately be within the carb either way.