KP61 Rear Suspension is Rock hard!

S-8Y

I just aquired a KP61 through a swap for my R30. I'm fairly happy with the vehicle apart from the rear suspension being so f*cking hard i'm pretty sure I can feel even change in the road. The suspension seems to have hardly any travel in the rear. I dont think it has lowering springs as it apears to sit at standard height.

Apparently the shocks have been replaced in the rear. I havn't chekc it out yet but i'm about to go have a look and see if they look new.

Its hard to explain how it feels/sounds but basically every bump on the road feels as if the rear of the car is getting hit so hard it feels like its going to fall off!

But when I have 2 people in the rear of the car it feels alot better (not as stiff).

Please help :D

Nah it sounds like the shocks are at the maximum extension and are preloading the springs making the ride very hard. When the car hits every bump the shocks max out steel on steel causing the harsh bang. It is probably happening on the rebound stroke rather than the bound but its very hard to distinquish between the 2 when you're driving an a rough, typically nz road.

This is also the reason why its ok with 2 people in the back, because then the car is sitting lower, away from the maximum extension of the shocks meaning the car never goes high enough to hit the top of the travel.

To test if its this undo the top of the shocks while the car is sitting there and they will probably bang loose and the car will raise abit. To get them back in you will need to get the bros to sit in the boot so that the car will sit low enough to re-attach them.

Solution = helium elboes. Another solution is to cut a coil off. The right solution is to get longer shocks. The best solution is to get custom lowered coils and new shocks :wink:

ps. Cars ride relatively nicely on bumps 8):P

Nah it sounds like the shocks are at the maximum extension and are preloading the springs making the ride very hard. When the car hits every bump the shocks max out steel on steel causing the harsh bang.

Yep you're right on the money there, i put the shocks in it, they're DX wagon shocks & are about 100mm shorter than what standard starlet shocks are. Was real mint when i had it on cutties, but i believe it now has standard springs back in it, & because thy're too long for the shocks they're basically holding them at full extension constantly

Put it back on cutties, they were all captive with those shocks, looked way better too

DSC00276.jpg