Cooling BS

NewGuy

30490408gm8.jpg

46821594jq6.jpg

someone's probably explained this alreayd but meh. been working whilst writing this.

top pic shows the thermostat housing on an isuzu 4be1 engine, and bottom pic obviously shows the thermostat.

cap that newguy talks of is easily distinguishable. when the thermostat is closed, the cap is drawn upwards and opens the bypass which lets coolant flow though a passage, and out through the hose outlet on the thermostat housing. this hose is connected to the waterpump.

this allows the water to circulate throughout the block, thus not creating hotspots in the engine whilst warming up.

when the engine gets to operating temperature and the thermostat opens, the bypass valve (that cap) clsoes over the passage, thus, the waterpump pumps coolant though the thermostat, into the radiator, and draws off the bottom of the radiator, and blows coolant back up through the block.

if you take the thermostat out, it's pretty much a free for all as to where the coolant goes. so hot water is constantly drawn through the bypass, and essentially causes the engine to heat up more and more. vicious cycle etc.

running without a thermostat, therefore, isn't going to make the engine run cold. this is a silly idea anyway as the engine wont get up to a decent operating temperature, and wont burn fuel nicely etc etc, so will run like a sack and carbon up and shit. If you were stuck with a koozed thermo, you could block the bypass hose and run without one. I'd only do that in a pinch though. there's no reason why you would want to run without thermostat etc

edit: for what it's worth, that bypass hose looks tiny on that housing I've posted. 4be1 was the first engine I thought of that I'd have pics of bits for on my work pc, that had same systems.

that bypass hose is probably about a 1" diameter pipe. just to give some scale. didn't want anyone thinking that it was tiny and largely irrelevant size/flow wise. the thermostat on said engine is extremely large for some reason for the size of the engine. bout 3-4" in diameter. as said, jsut for some scale.

Hmmm nice slammer, iv just been looking at my housing, im so confusd at what this damn foot Bs does now, i haven't been driving much, i found my local MG shop has the right Stat so ill grab one of those tomorrow and wack it in.

If it makes a difference it makes a Difference..........

The only hoses i know in my system is, off the Waterpump housing is th 2 heater hoses, and the main hose going to the bottom of the radiator. And of course the water pump sitting in the top of the block where it gets the power to run etc.

The other thing that the thermostat will do is regulate the water flow through the radiator. An engine running at high RPM, will have the flow determined by the speed of the water pump, this means that the exposure to the cooling fins within the radiator that the water actually gets is determined by how fast the water is flowing......fast water flow, very little time spent cooling before being shoved back into a hot engine... the thermostat places a restriction in the line to regulate the flow.

Your choice. Why risk it tho when you can just make 4 little brackets. Wouldnt take over an hour or so and will never break.

because if everything on my car was reliable and never broke id get bored of it and i could have used that hour doing it properly to fix some other dodgey shit id done earlyer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i went to Bay engineers and got a new belt to drive the alternator.

The water pump and Dizzy have there own shaft which is powered off the timing chain.

I just got the 10inch ICE Fan from Repco, Reversed the fan and the polarity.

Thinking now i could have got the 12, but as i will make up some brackets for the fan i will get another 10inch to have side by side.

Seems to have helped keep the temperature down when you are at a stop which is what i wanted it to do.

Have just installed a switch that i switch on when i get above 50Kmh under the dash.

Few Pics Etc.

Old Fan Out

December2007003.jpg

December2007002.jpg

December2007004.jpg

New Fan in

December20070022.jpg

December2007001.jpg

On Off switch

December20070032.jpg