Recommended Gearbox and Diff oils...

Scrubb

pft yeal old recycled 30-40 is were its at

lol nah totally agree i used 20-50 in everthign i own and its never had a issue

had 0-30 in one of my race engines for a bit and it just spat it out teh tail pipe

the manufacture recomendaions are worked out form the shear and load clearances in your engine.your do well to listen to your owners manuel recomendadtions :D

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have the original owners manual for my 61 bug, and along with telling you how to sit and hold the wheel properly, i swear it suggests oil based on climate like modern cars do. cant beat a 0w30 when you are heading home from skiing. if yours was spitting it out, i bet your clearances were on the loose side. for most ppl 15w40 is a good choice, for most people on here, 20w50 is probably best. still, depends on a lot of things. if you've just rebuilt an engine and the break in period is over, i'd be running a synthetic for sure, even if its a 1900 design. viscosity wise would depend on climate, usage and design of the valve train.

Bought some Castrol GTX 20W50 engine oil today.. seemed to be all I could find at Supercheap and Repco at the time so I'll see how that goes..

Also got some Valvoline SAE-90 for my Diff, does anyone know how much I need? I just bought 1 Litre

My diff uses 1.3L so I would imagine yours would be similar.

Just looked in manual, says 1.15 Litres SAE 90 in the rear axle, I'm assuming thats the diff?

So now I just need to get my clutch done and I will replace gearbox oil and I'll replace engine oil after my valves are adjusted.. Hopefully my gearbox problems go away..