possible to get clutch like this in my EX?

Scrubb

In my 1990 Holden Barina (which just got written off :( ) it had a mean clutch. When u let the clutch pedal out it was kinda sensative and you could feel it really grab on HARD.

The EX clutch feels all soft and squishy and you cant really feel it grab on hard.. Can I get a clutch like was on the barina for my lancer? Was it some special one or is that how the ones on those cars are?

Be awesome if I can get a clutch like that for the EX, thats what made that car good to drive.. :)

Edit: Whoops! should be in Technical Section, can a mod please move it?

there are a few things which will affect the clutch pedal feel, the EX is cable clutch and am not sure if the barina is cable clutch too. If you have a heavy duty pressure plate that usually gives a firm feel to it.

my daily driver 93 Galant has a real firm clutch, as it uses the same clutch and pressure plate as a VR-4, whereas my Eterna clutch is also quite soft.

Awesome, so how does an better pressure plate make it grip harder and feel better exactly?

I just bought a new clutch kit (Its from a L300 or something but looks exactly the same as the spare I have), I guess this wont make it feel any better or will it?

Anyone have any idea of cost and part numbers or any info at all?

I don't think anyone would make a heavy duty clutch for an EX Lancer eh, apart from the turbo models. Other than taking pressure plates off the shelf and comparing it, there's not alot you can do. The flywheels on the 4G3x series have 5 bolt pattern while 4G6x is 6 bolt up to '92. I recall the clutch plate itself being the same on my old 4G37 Galant and my old '85 Cordia GT Turbo which had the 4G62 - but I can't say for certain if the pressure plates are the same.

Awesome, so how does an better pressure plate make it grip harder and feel better exactly?

I just bought a new clutch kit (Its from a L300 or something but looks exactly the same as the spare I have), I guess this wont make it feel any better or will it?

Anyone have any idea of cost and part numbers or any info at all?

Just has more clamping pressure, so bites harder. It may do, it may not do...Auto Clutch can make you up a heavier pressure plate if that one doesnt do what you want.

You could also go really extreme and get a 3 puck clutch plate made up...that'll make it bite hard :twisted:

dunno if they're the same without getting my exedy book out (which happens to be at work) but there's a good heavy duty clutch kit available for sohc 4g63 sigmas which I've supplied a couple of to forum memebrs. Don't recall the cost of the last one. first was epically cheap, from a dude who's since gone out of busines though.

the first has been on 2 engines now i think. had a hiding, and it bites nicely.

might want to hang onto your nice progressive clutch if it's doing a good job of what's asked of it at the moment though. my pug's got a bitch of a clutch in it and it gets pretty boring after a little while in traffic!

• 2 weeks later...