Auto ratchet Shifter install

RT

Ok so I have a B&M ratchet shifter,

first thing I have noticed that the thick cable goes forward from it and not down..

so it won't exactly sit over the hole and have the cable go down into it.

I've never done an auto before, does anyone have any ideas? I'm guessing at this stage that a hole would have to be made in the firewall for the cable to go foward and then curve under the trans tunnel to the gearbox..

see pic

shifterts3.jpg

put on of those in a kingswood once. cunt of a time! same deal as any cable on cars, length pwns bends. firewall it is. also especially because sticky cables stop those from working/pwns the return spring with resistance etc

(stuck in D1's boe!) :lol:

well.. it wouldn't get stuck on the firewall cos it's got an outter cable with an inner..

right.. so I make a hole straight ahead in the firewall and pass the cable through and under to the gearbox then eh?

sweet as.. I'll patch up the old stick hole with some sound deadening..

just drill a hole big enough to feed the cable end thru in a position that the cable lies naturally in front of the shifter once your in the tunnel curve it round and line it up with the shifter arm on the trans easy as that. just keep it away from the exhaust the cable shifters are heaps better than tryin the set up a linkage system in a conversion situation.

thanks.. I'm halfway through doing it.

I positioned the shifter as far back as possible without hitting the handbrake lever and then worked out where abouts the cable would bend nicely and got a hole through with a rubber grommet.

Then I took apart the shifter and removed the cir-clip holding the cable, fed it up through the floor.

Then I made a bracket that mounts to the original centre console bolts, this I can attach the shifter to.

Finally I went to put the cable back on the shifter and noticed that the cir-clip was bent so I went to flatten it a bit with a small hammer.

tap tap tap ..'ping' ....fucking thing flicks off somewhere into the garage.

about an hour of searching around on my hands & knees trying to find the fucking little cunt ended my garage session for the week. :rolleyes: