fuel

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a quick update

replaced the boots and cleaned up the half-shafts and fitted them along with diff back into subframe, painted up the prop shaft too:

DSCF0927.jpg

and put the subframe back in:

DSCF0928.jpg

DSCF0929.jpg

DSCF0933.jpg

a powdercoated rocker cover arrived:

DSCF0934.jpg

front end has had a paint up and bushes replaced too:

DSCF0903.jpg

DSCF0902.jpg

and a quick sneak peak at the struts - the original spring perches have been cut off and the rear struts have been opened up and will be shortened to suit SW20 MR2 rear inserts:

DSCF0924.jpg

Ok with huge thanks to wayne (vvega) the coilovers are together and now fitted

DSCF0937.jpg

DSCF0939.jpg

DSCF0946.jpg

At the current setting it sits with the tyres (factory 195/70 balloons) even with the tops of the guards, and about 70mm ground clearance to the front crossmember. It still has a further inch lower it can go, or two inches higher. I can take out the keeper springs for a further 40mm drop.

More pics to come later

• 4 weeks later...

oh hai

bought some 16x7 work ewingII rims, one has curbrash on the lip and one has the chrome coating flaking off the spokes so I'm pretty keen to sandblast the centres and spray them another colour - any suggestions?

DSCF1121.jpg

DSCF1122.jpg

on the car for a test fit (most curbed one shown):

DSCF1125.jpg

DSCF1127.jpg

DSCF1129.jpg

DSCF1130.jpg

they have been stripped of the balloons too, so looking to put some decent 205/45 or 205/50 tyres on them.

• 4 weeks later...

well I decided the ewings weren't for the Eterna, so happened to come across these wheels instead

SSR 16x7.5 +20mm F and 16x8 0mm

DSC04399.jpg

DSC04404.jpg

DSC04402.jpg

need to get some 205/50s to replace the balloons on the front rims and will then get them on asap.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

alright well I kind of decided one night that maybe I should do something different than the overly done 4G63...

a few of you might remember me saying something about a year back when I had my V6 out of my daily driver rebuilding it, that I seriously looked into transplanting it into the Eterna instead. After days of research I came to the conclusion the 6A12 wouldn't have been as easy to mount north/south, however the 6G72 was, and would probably be a better engine to use seeing as they came out in MIVEC, and twin turbo flavours.

So I've gone and bought two engines - a Diamante 30M MIVEC N/A engine, and an GTO TT engine - both relatively complete.

DSCF1374.jpg

DSCF1373.jpg

DSCF1375.jpg

DSCF1376.jpg

As I don't know the 6G72 as well as the 4G63 or 6A12 for instance, I did some further research on them and realised it would be easier to just turbocharge the complete MIVEC engine as opposed to fitting the MIVEC heads onto the GTO block, so that's just what I'll be doing.

Over this coming weekend I should have the 4G63 out of the Eterna and will lower one of the 6G72s into the hole and see how it fits.

• 4 weeks later...

so stripped the engine bay some more and lowered the V6 into the hole pretty much where I want it to sit:

DSCF1409.jpg

DSCF1410.jpg

front of the motor is about inline where front of the 4cyl was

DSCF1411.jpg

rear of the motor would just clear the clutch master cylinder, however I need to either find a slimmer brake booster or cut down the spacer behind the brake booster - brake master is fine for space though.

DSCF1438.jpg

room between driver's side chassis rail/steering box and engine block, with no mounts fitted

DSCF1413.jpg

DSCF1416.jpg

DSCF1417.jpg

and on passenger's side - a bit more room

DSCF1414.jpg

DSCF1415.jpg

and the sump, the rear section of the tin bottom of the MIVEC sump hits on the front edge of the crossmember, and the engine is resting on it sitting about 20mm higher than it could be mounted, so it needs to be notched further by approx 25-30mm

DSCF1428.jpg

DSCF1426.jpg

DSCF1427.jpg

stripped down the GTO TT motor

DSCF1419.jpg

the tiny TD04s, they don't actually share the same compressor housings or exhaust housings, they are different per side and may look a bit weird if I mount them a bit forward in plain site - am thinking of using CD5A Lancer GSR TD04s or even WRX TD04s as they are cheap enough to pick up a pair of.

DSCF1437.jpg

the illusive and hidden oil squirters!

DSCF1421.jpg

and that's about it for now. I hope to go visit some wreckers to find out more about mounts from a Pajero/Triton etc over the next few days.

Discussion thread here - viewtopic.php?t=9691

ok some more progress today - went to the a wreckers this morning and found a Pajero V6 and checked out its mounts, they looked promising and mounted in the same spot despite being mid sump:

DSCF1442.jpg

DSCF1443.jpg

DSCF1449.jpg

so $50 later they were mine and used the original Eterna rubber section of the mount and it all bolted up sweet:

DSCF1452.jpg

DSCF1453.jpg

DSCF1455.jpg

but it moved the motor back about 1", which means I can't use the original clutch master cylinder and I'll probably have to cut into the firewall for the thermostat housing.

DSCF1456.jpg

the engine sits at a good height with plenty of clearance from sump to crossmember height wise:

DSCF1457.jpg

but as mentioned earlier the sump will need to be notched.. but makes it tricky with the two piece metal section.. I might just get rid of that altogether and have an alloy plate welded in place and just wing the sump. It needs to be notched up until about the dipstick tube (which is seen at bottom of the shot)

DSCF1458.jpg

while I was there I placed the turbos approx where I want them to be mounted, they are just resting on the mounts but seems to have a bit room on the passenger side but not so much on the drivers side:

DSCF1459.jpg

DSCF1461.jpg

and that is all for now

• 3 weeks later...

small update

wheels back on and dropped back onto the ground, just wanted to see how the suspension was sitting with the V6 in - it seems to be about the same level as with the 4G63 in, but the V6 is still missing a gearbox, manifolds, turbos, piping etc

DSCF1464.jpg

DSCF1465.jpg

fitted radiator and fan back in see where it sits in relation, I feel with that transverse mount chopped off flush there will be plenty of room up front for intake and intercooler piping:

DSCF1467.jpg

deep valley of the V6 with lower manifold removed:

DSCF1466.jpg

just comparing port sizes between the MIVEC and the twin turbo GTO V6, they're the same apart from slightly larger injector notch on the MIVEC:

DSCF1468.jpg

trial fitting GTO turbo upper intake manifold onto the MIVEC bottom intake Y pipe section, needs a spacer to clear the taller MIVEC heads:

DSCF1470.jpg

Thanks to Spence, Mike and Sam I think we've found a suitable replacement clutch master cylinder, off an AE86 no less:

DSCF1475.jpg

does anyone know if the AE86 clutch master has the same 5/8" bore size as my stock master cylinder?

... and I removed air con.. there was just no way I could mount the stock V6 air con pump, and it would be too much hassle to try relocating it. So with the air con condenser and lines removed there's more room for a larger intercooler to sit up front, I'm thinking a stock Evo 6.5 TME onwards intercooler as they are decent sized and have 2.5" end tank piping:

DSCF1476.jpg

also some news on the gearbox front, I've come across a Pajero 4WD V6 V5MT1 gearbox in the south island for cheap which I'll get freighted up to me, to at least have a look over and see if I can use any of it perhaps in conjunction with a 2WD gearbox tail section to lose the 4WD transfer case - if that fails I'll remove the bellhousing and use it to make a custom bellhousing to adapt to some other gearbox (still undecided yet).

Discussion - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9691&start=320

• 2 years later...