fuel's 1980 Mitsubishi Eterna GSR

fuel

Discussion thread - //oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9691

so I bought me a new oldschool car - getting rid of the Corolla as it will take alot of work to bring it up to the condition the Eterna is in. An old couple have had the car since it was imported in 1988 and in nearly 20 years they have only done 80,000kms on it. It now has 128,000kms on the clock.

It boasts a turbocharged fuel injected 4G63 2L SOHC powerplant, mated to 5 speed manual gearbox with independant rear suspension and four wheel ventilated disc brakes.

Inside it has electric pillarless windows front and rear, electric fender mirrors and original as 'TURBO' imprinted seats.

Anyway, here are some pics:

eterna2.jpg

eterna1.jpg

eterna3.jpg

eterna7.jpg

Massive oil cooler -

eterna4.jpg

My plans for this beast firstly is to remove the over 100km/h chime, give it a decent service, find a bigger TC06 or even a TD04/TD05 turbo and up the boost possibly with a front mount intercooler too. I have to do something to the suspension too as it is pretty boat-like

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Small update:

Bought a boost guage and installed it - only running 5~6psi.

Replaced dizzy cap, rotor, leads, spark plugs and gave it an oil/filter change along with replacing some vacuum lines. Seems to have made it run a bit more smoother with some more power but still not enough.

Bought a complete set of tie rod ends (inner + outer), pitman arm and idler arm ready to be fitted when I have time - hopefully this should sort out the small amount of play it has in the steering.

Got me a VR-4 intercooler and some assorted piping - just need to find a Starion TBI and a buy Eliot's TD05 turbo and all that will go on.

Still searching for lowering springs and some badass wheels to suit it. Will get some new front shocks and suspension bushes all round too.

3" mandrel bent exhaust should be here on the weekend, hopefully will get that fitted up soon.

So I was hoping the exhaust would fit straight up - nope. It's about 20~30cm shorter and needs a few more bends/kinks added.

Some pics of the afternoon's mission (big ups to Chris who transported the exhaust down and helped me fit it! 8) )

Out with the old:

eterna15.jpg

Getting it under there and lining things up:

eterna16.jpg

eterna17.jpg

About that time we discovered it wasn't going to fit haha, here's why:

eterna18.jpg

eterna19.jpg

Oh well.. off to the exhaust shop sometime next week to sort something out.

• 5 weeks later...

So I've had some parts arrive:

parts1.jpg

Some front king springs, shocks, inner and outer tie rod ends, idler arm, pitman arm and sway bar bushes.

I'm still unsure what to do about the rear springs, kings wont have any for another month and Chamberlain will take two weeks to make some up, and plus I have to send my original springs down so it will be off the road in that time. I still need it mobile to sort out the turbo, exhaust and intercooler etc.

Still on the list to get:

Brake pads + machined rotors

Fire extinguisher + helmet + overalls

Rear lowering springs

List to do:

Fit all the parts above

Fit exhaust

Fit intercooler and get piping made up

Here's some pics from progress over the weekend:

Front suspension all apart:

strut1.jpg

New sway bar bushes:

bushes.jpg

Shocks, old vs. new:

shocks.jpg

Rotors freshly machined:

rotors.jpg

Strut back together with kings and refitted + calipers painted for bling :P :

strut2.jpg

strut3.jpg

Big ups to Tank and Mark for their help.

Tomorrow I have to sort out the tie rods, pitman arm and idler arm.

It seems I will be running out of time and money to do the turbo + intercooler, but hopefully I will get the exhaust modified and fitted before trackday.

The result of this weekend's work:

front1.jpg

front2.jpg

front3.jpg

I'm happy with the height for now, but the rear has to come down sometime soon though. It's heaps stiffer in the front, which is exactly what I wanted. Can't wait til tomorrow to drive it and see how it feels.

So the steering is all back together and had a wheel alignment done. Man what an improvement! It handles so much better and it steers far more acurately! It feels like a totally different car.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I ran out of time/money to sort out exhaust, turbo and intercooler but that's alright cause I did the suspension and brakes which was the important thing.

And to complement the suspension/brakes I just picked up a set of these for $250 :D :

minilite1.jpg

15 by 6.5" with +17mm offset. They need to be cleaned up a bit though, as they are a bit rough.

Not much left to do for nats; just need to fit fire extinguisher, install CD player, maybe get dump pipe on if I can get O2 sensor hole sorted in time.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

so I've been pretty broke lately, and here's why:

churboe.jpg

Evo 6 TD05HR 16G6 10.5T turbo.

Am waiting for inlet manifold, AFM and throttlebody to turn up.

Still need an ECU and loom, exhaust manifold fabricated, engine rebuild parts (ie rings, bearings, pistons etc), metal head gasket and a few other bits.

Definitely don't have the time or funds to do the DOHC conversion before winter, hopefully I can just sort suspension and intercooler for trackday coming up.

• 3 weeks later...

some more pics:

new arrival - evo manifold, fuel rail and AFM:

DSCF0522.jpg

the TC06 turbo I'll use temporarily while it's still SOHC:

DSCF0526.jpg

cleaned up the engine bay some:

DSCF0523.jpg

and last but not least, found some sweet retro 80s shelf speakers - they sound pretty good:

DSCF0525.jpg

• 1 month later...

So these arrived:

DSCF0577.jpg

Problem is the GAB springs I have now are 62mm ID and the spring seats suit 65mm ID springs.. hrmm so I've gotta get some new springs it seems.

Need to research what spring rate I will need, for a 1300kg car with about a 55/45 weight distribution. The GAB springs I have don't have their rates marked on them, but I figured they would be close as they were for a Legnum which is similar weight.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

progress!

pulled rear suspension apart to clean up and replace bushes, fix diff leak etc

DSCF0791.jpg

DSCF0792.jpg

DSCF0793.jpg

and dismantled it all

DSCF0796.jpg

going to be coated with

DSCF0797.jpg

need to sort out shortening the struts and fitting inserts and adapting the coilover sleeves before chucking it back together