Morris 1300 into mini 1000? and engine differences?

Chrome_GT

Ok done a bit of work on the car engine today so wana record some details on here. Might be useful for other oldschoolers

I've checked mounting systems for each engine.

Mini's engine mounts:

1) mounted right under flywheel housing

2) mount attached at timing end of engine right below where the radiator sits

3) tie bar provides torsional support at the flywheel end just above flywheel housing

Austin/morris 1300 landcrab engine mounts:

1) mounted under flywheel housing as in mini

2) mounted at front front of engine ahead of the timing cover

3) mounted at rear of engine behind timing cover, 2 and 3 are mounted via a large plate that the timing cover is bolted over

4) Mounted right below the radiator as in mini

The 1300 Has a plate right behind the timing cover. It extends both forwards and rearwards of the block and has a mount at each end. The mini doesnt use either of these mounts and the plate doesn't have the extensions. I might have to swap the plates over because the extended plate on the 1300 will get in the way when working around the engine. Now I have to go find a timing cover gasket or two

In the mini

dscf4320lq0.jpg

Landcrabs engine

dscf4322rs0.jpg

The holes for tthe tie bar (mini mount 3) are also on the 1275 engine from the landcrab. But they aren't tapped. So will have to tap these before installing engine.

dscf4318el5.jpg

The radiators are different and yes the larger one will foul against subframe or bonnet depending on where it sits. The larger radiator is also mounted at the bottom by a pin, whereas the mini's one is mounted with a bracket. I will swap the end bracket systems under the radiator because of this as i want to continue using the mini radiator.

The minis radiator mounting brack, also the timng end engine mount:

dscf4319oz5.jpg

Mini has a mechanical fuel pump. The landcrab has an electric. So I'll have to use the minis mechanical on the 1275 engine. There is a removable plate on the 1275 so I'm pretty confident thats where it goes. Hard to see in the mini. Will be easiest to do while both engines are out of the car.

Once this conversion is done I'll bring all the info across to my project post. May even submit a technical on it as it's a conversion which alot of people do.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good man. Just a note, if you can use the mini radiator with the 1300 cowling and bottom mount it will be way easier to get the rad in and out.

I had a Leyland 1000 that I wreaked and it had the 1 horizontal bolt to hold the rad in. Way less fidly. Have a look and see if it would work. I think pretty much everything else has been covered.

Good point, hadn't considered swapping the cowlings. I think the morris cowling is wider so may have issues - will look into it though. Your right the bolts on the mini system are really fiddly to remove. I found a good way of doing it yesterday. I basically forget about accesing from the front and just use a ratchet spanner through the tiny access hole in the arch.

• 2 months later...

Who here has done this conversion?

Are you running the radiator from a 1000cc or did you fit the radiator made for the morris 1300?

I'm having overheating issues. I've fitted an expansion tank which helped a little bit, especially with reducing the topup amount

• 1 month later...