Panel beating

Guest kornstar

Guest kornstar

Does any one have any advice/tips/info on panel beating, i need to do some on my mini, its WOFable but id rather return it back to its mint condition.

Im not expecting to get it perfect, but id rather try and do most of it myself before takeing to teh panelbeater and painter.

ill post pics of the damage when i can.

Cheers.

Guest kornstar

i have one photo and its shit so you cant see the damage, the panels are bent in heaps and cracked in places, all on drivers side front panel and door.

miniau6.jpg

Are you planning to do a full repaint? If so then it may be easier to get a replacement door especially if your current one has rust.

With the sill, maybe get a dent puller and have a go at pulling the dent out. Then use bog to smoothen it up. I'm not a panel beater so don't trust anything I say! I'm sure someone here has more useful info.

How did it get damaged?

Guest kornstar

no rust ANYwhere in the car.

And i have two spare doors already in mint condition painted. So that parts sorted i spose, its mainly the front panel i need to do,

can you get to the back of it? If not then dent puller or homemade dent puller, if the peice of the panel is an easy shape to make out of sheet steel then it may be easier to cut the damage out, use magnet clamps to hold the steel in from behind and tack weld and bog, however i donty think that suits you.

Anyways get your hammer, panelbeating set if you have one if not then an ordinary hammer will suffice. Either hold something on the panel (dolly if you have one) or use your leg to brace the steel so the dent takes the force not the whole panel and use many lighter hits to try and get it as close to flat as possible, if you over hit it, goto the other side and bash it back, block sand with a low grit like 80 so you can see the low and high spots, fix them as best you can by bashing back and forth and then bog.