power steering into a capri

J2Racing

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I realise 2.8i had ps I owned one many years back. I did not realise they where sold here. I thought they where only privately imported. I would try to get the info from the local club but when I was talking to the president of the club he had a mental, when I told him what I was doing. Seemed to think it was wrong to use a GXL shell for a race car. But it was ok for him to put injection on his 3.5 engine and a falcon 5speed. I'm afraid I wrote the club off. But if the track is the same the rack should fit.

Was that Paul or Murry.... the chch club can be presious some times :rolleyes:

I think it was murray I have spoken to paul a few times and bought some stuff off him found him to be quite normal.

I am not sure but from a chat with someone else playing with a capri he had been told the power steering from a e30 bmw should bolt in. As I said not sure but could be worth checking out. There was a few of us standing round talking about this and one of the other guys knows heaps about bmws and he said that the e30 ps rack sounds the same as the capri one from how the capri guy described it. Hope my crazy ramble is of some help.

Will check it out but would rather go with something cheap and easy to find. I know that changes everything again. But being a race car spare parts a re a must.

But will check into it

I think it was murray I have spoken to paul a few times and bought some stuff off him found him to be quite normal.

That would be right, Murry has a 3L GLX from memory.

Paul is a good guy, he's a friend of mine. I still haven't managed to talk him in to fuel injecting or turboing any of his cars yet :lol:

That would be right, Murry has a 3L GLX from memory.

Paul is a good guy, he's a friend of mine. I still haven't managed to talk him in to fuel injecting or turboing any of his cars yet :lol:

I have to agree paul is a very good guy. Can't say turboing or injecting appeals to me either. But did toy with the idea of mechanical injection for the retro feel. And a mate turboed his 2.8i . It was scary.

Don't realy want to have to deal with a:

F actory

O rdered

R oad

D isaster

That's good coming from someone with a capri :lol: ....not that I can talk I've replaced a lot of ford parts with better non ford parts.

I forgot to ask why are you going PS any way? ....I'd have thought a quick rack for the track for the weight savings and it's lees to go wrong.

Hijacking the thread kinda, but seeing how the mk 3, 4 and 5 'tinas all have the same chassis, would a power steering rack from a mk 4 or 5 bolt into my mk3 and what else would i need to use it?

Big thing to watch those are of TE/TF cortina not MK4/MK5. Means there aussie and they have way different front ends. Could make a huge hassle to fit. I'd try seirra rack. Should be heaps cheaper. As for a pump. It's only a pump so anything that fits realy. But sticking with jelly mould would make it easy.

Don't realy want to have to deal with a:

F actory

O rdered

R oad

D isaster

That's good coming from someone with a capri :lol: ....not that I can talk I've replaced a lot of ford parts with better non ford parts.

I forgot to ask why are you going PS any way? ....I'd have thought a quick rack for the track for the weight savings and it's lees to go wrong.

Ok I've been around capri for 12 years now give or take. I've always owned at lest one. Personaly I think they are great but did suffer a bit in the design department. for example.

Why build a 3.0 V6 with a soild rear end and drums?

They had an independent with discs!

What happened to the antitram rods on the diff in 73?

One shock either side of the diff is design failer!

Why not 4WD?

Sure massey fugason had stooped making the unit. But buy it and make there own!

back on subject of PS. the car will be running 15" wheels on falcon hubs and stubs, not a big problem. The car will be used for sealed sprints, gravel sprints, hill climbs, club racing and long distance racing. Realy just want to future proof the car. It wont be space framed at first but could be later.

Ok I've been around capri for 12 years now give or take. I've always owned at lest one.

Ditto, I've had this one for over 10 years

Personaly I think they are great but did suffer a bit in the design department.

They were a cheap sports car for the masses so there were compromises

for example.

Why build a 3.0 V6 with a soild rear end and drums?

A stick axle is better for straight lines.... and cheap

They had an independent with discs!

Shoes actually break better than pads but they suffer from over heating (this is where disks are better).

What happened to the antitram rods on the diff in 73?

Joe pubic was saying body roll/ride comfort was an issue so they changed

Why not 4WD?

Again cost, and it's not an SUV :wink:

back on subject of PS. the car will be running 15" wheels on falcon hubs and stubs, not a big problem. The car will be used for sealed sprints, gravel sprints, hill climbs, club racing and long distance racing. Realy just want to future proof the car. It wont be space framed at first but could be later.

If you are going to space frame will you run the same x member?

Personally I hate full time PS as it absorbs the road feel, the speed sensitive ones are good tho