Is this structural? Cutting legalities...

zep

picture29pr7.jpg

As you can see, it's a pic of my radiator area in my car. I want to cut out the sections in green from those radiator mounting bars for the intercooler piping to go through, but I'm not sure if this is legal (due to structural issues...)

Can anyone spread some light on this?

Cheers

Yeah it seems to be a pretty tough area. I had a look and hae decided that I will probably just trim around the front of it a bit, thje grille almost fits in there without cutting and there is no way that I'd have to take out the entire sections of the rails to get it to fit. The less cutting the better i'd say.

It will be structural I think. I chopped a similar part out of my chevette for mounting a larger radiator/fitting the g200 in easier, and it weakend it heaps. You could see the flex in the front when you just pushed it with your hands, and you are cutting out more than I did by the look of things.

I think a good option will be welding pipes in the 2 places you remove material from. Then you can just attach the pipes both sides using silicone hose and will be strong as. Mean. Will look awesome aswell.

Hrm, ok. Well I have decided not to cut them fully out, that'd be pretty silly really. I'm just gonna remove some of the front part, just enough to get that piping fitting around there. Will also trim back the grill a bit so I dont have to cut too much of the support.

I ended up cutting out some of the front of the rad support rails but made sure I left the chunky bits there to retain strength. I think it'll be ok this way, just have to shave a little off of the grille now to get it all fitting mint.