Later model struts in ke20/25/26

rota_nation

hey i was just wondering if there are any late model struts that would fit into my old ke25 as i hav just bought a project ke26 and giving the coupe to my little brother for a project and i am taking the struts out of the 25 to put into my 26 but the 25 will be left strutless, any help?

• 1 month later...

remember that fitting non oem struts often affects other parts of the steering and braking.

i suggest you thoroughly research the swap if not usuing ke20/ke25/ke26 struts.

this guide may help in finding suitable swaps

http://www.toycrazy.net/tech/struts.html

just remember the length quoted were mostly measured with a ruler so not entirely accurate. steering arm bolt pattern should be though.

to start with, could try kp starlet strut including the steering arms. the whole shebang should bolt in. steering arms same length too.

all later corollas have a bigger ball joint...

so can shim the ke25 ball joint with 1mm shim (a bit dodge) or find custom ball joints then use ke30/ke70/ae85/ae86 etc struts/steering arms and change the top hat that bolts to the strut tower to kp starlet or ke2 top hat so it bolts in. later model corolla springs likely to be stiffer/taller so need to sort out a lowering spring to suit. also later corolla will have longer steering arms so will increase the turning circle and slow the turning response. camber is often made increasingly positive (not helpful) and preferably dont use an arm longer than 125mm eye-to-eye as the std ke25 one is only 110mm. i could not to a u-turn on a 2 lane road when i had 138mm arms :oops:

i believe s1-s3 rx7 strut bolts to ke2 steering arm.. s1 & s2 have 4x110 studs like the 25 but s3 have 4x114.3 like the later corollas and starlet. then need to sort out springs and top hat etc. not know much about that swap but could ask logan (las52).

remember that if you use a strut with larger brakes, it will affect the brake bias so try keep it to an 8" disk and all should be groovy.

as an example of the affects of strut conversion.. i've put ae85 struts in my ke26... ie 9" disk. used 115mm ae86 p/s steering arms, ae92GT shocks spaced up which is 2" shorter stroke, king springs 'lows', have shimmed the ball joints for now but have te28 steering arms on the way which bolt the ae85 struts in and are identical in length!! :D BUT! the side affects i have found is 1.5' positive camber after lowering (so would be worse and std height). i have front bias braking.. not so noticeable in the dry but dangerous in the wet and tricky when sideways. to counter these i'm making camber plates and i used the ae85 struts with the intention of upgrading my diff to a shortened ma45 with te71 disk brake which when fitted with te71 bias valve will be good again.

think safe! suspension modifications legally require lvv certification