Shock absorber repair/replacement

Guest bluetom

Guest bluetom

Took my '73 mk3 cortina in to get it's warrent today, failed on the shocks(plus other stuff) Said that the shock absorber was leaking.

Are the shocks hard to replace, I'd love to give it ago replacing them if i can find one to go in. It's just the front left. Don't really want to go get someone else to do it if i could do it myself.

Can you just repair leaks? My guess was no but ya never know.

Guest bluetom

Alright will do just having a few problems with the camera at the moment, she's no much of a do up. It's more like just keeping it running.

Guest bluetom

Got the workshop manual. Will repco etc. stock new ones or second hand? should i have a look around for some second hand ones, or too likely to be shit aswell?

dont bother with secondhand shock....

try track down a nice set of kyb's or something like that. I'm not one to endorse monroe shocks. they seem quite shit. kyb's are great

P/No on mark 3 cortina kyb gas shocks is:

front: 343001

rears are: 343002,

http://www.georgestock.co.nz/catalogue/KYB/KYB.htm

alledgedly the same for both u.k and aus built cortinas. go figure.

I know how shit repco cunts usually are.. rockin up with part numbers usually helps, given that they're never interested!!!

do them in pairs, full set at same time would probably tighten her up nicely :wink:

Guest bluetom

What sort of cost are new shocks.

I am yet to get a part from repco that was right that i didn't have to take back because it was wrong :rolleyes:

what about lowering etc? Heaps more cash? plus you need new springs right?

Guest bluetom

great thank you very much. Will go check out prices them during next week. Do people usually change there shocks when they lower cars or just the springs?

The idea of hydrolics/airbags would be cool but i'm sure they're way out of my price league, aren't there also legal issue around them?

Guest bluetom

Went to repco tonight. they quoted $180 per pair of monroes, didn't have a price on the KYB's as they hadn't ordered any before.

But there were other KYB for some other car that were $173, however they could tell me if that was each or a pair.

Is it general consensus that KYB are better? They're stiffer aren't they?

I think I'll replace the front two and see how it goes and replace the back two after.

CaM; yeah the shocks are really soft the car rolls from one side to the other every corner.

How much lower do people usually make Cortina's? I'm keen to lower it a bit as it looks too high at the moment. Any good sources of second hand lower springs (or really cheap).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bluetom

got KYB's for supercheap, sent striaght from stocks, would have cost me the differnece in petrol to get out there.

Going in tomorrow. :D Should be a good experience!

The cost $75 each in the end.

Pretty good seeing Repco said they'd cost more than the $90 monroes they were selling.