hunter manual conversion

Speedyrr

78 hillman hunter 2L 4 speed auto, 4 round headlight model. My nephew has just scored one of these for sfa. He is wanting to know what is required to convert it to a manual. He has a gearbox, clutch assembly, driveshaft already, and wants to know if there is any mods required to the diff for this conversion. I'm into my mitsi's myself so don't know too much about these so any advice would be great.

Cheers

my parts car has had a manual conversion, the mounts as far as i saw are the same. well it looks the same as my factory manual one.

They are a hydraylic clutch too.

lmao 2L

iv heard you can bore them out to just under 2L but its pretty dicey.

i think from memory the engine is slighty detuned as well so look at getting parts of a manual 1725 super or gt. iv got all the specs at home somewhere.

Fuck it should be easy as

Hunters=simple

Gbox, possibly dshaft, pressure plate, clutch plate, release bearing, pedal box and cable should do it

All as new as possible and get flywheel skimmed for good measure.

Invite mates round and do it in one afternoon with beers

did one of these conversions was pretty simple though i managed to bugger it up with a home made spigot bush

mounts are the same as far as i remember though i think i used the one off the manual

need manual drive shaft, im still running the automatic diff which might be a bit wonk but seems sweet

new flywheel, pedal box, slave cylinder, release carbon, clutch

dont need new starter

everything bolts up sweet

the automatic radiators have oil coolers for the gbox so youd have to get a manual radiator or just plug up the holes

pretty quick and easy and theres so much room to get around everything in the hunters you could probably have a barbie in there at the same time

Cheers for the help guys and girls, will try to get a bit more specific details on the car. I was wondering when he told me it's a 2 litre as well :? Although the engine has had work and the auto trans has been rebuilt too I think from what I heard. But I haven't seen in the engine bay and he's still got a lot to learn for the basic mechanics side of things. so yeah anyway

thanks

Give him this info and he can do a bit more research and scrounging for parts, Time for another generation of grease monkey :D

Some tuning tips....

You would probably know if you have a 2 litre as somebody would have been using that as a selling topic.

The 2 litre conversion isnt that differcult, but finding a head gasket to work is, so the 2 litre conversions are few and far between.

I seem to recall the guys racing the engines were using 350 or 327 Chev pistons for the recent conversions and CF Bedford pistons in the older ones.

Before going down the path let Malcolm at Bygone Autos give you quotes for some of the work, as he has done a few of these. (for rich punters!)

He has a Head Gasket that works, but I'm guessing it wont be cheap.

The difference between the GT engines and the "normal" engines is SFA, apart for the carbys. If you are talking stock camshafts you want to find a early Fastback Rapier/Sceptre engine, the late model GT/Rapier/Sceptre engines all run the same "high torque" cam, rather than the early Rapier (up to '71 I seem to recall) high lift cam.

The Holbay (Rapier Holbay/Hunter GLS) engines had slightly bigger valves

and Webers, but I wouldnt buy one of these engines just because it has webers!, the Webers are unique to the Holbay, and parts are very hard to come by.

If you want to be a little unique, look around for the Sceptre/ Rapier gearbox, with the Overdrive, it effectively gives you a 6 speed box, with the overdrive giving you intermediate gears on 3rd and 4th (and 1st and 2nd if you change the activation switch).

This is a conversion I would recommend.