45 series engines what type oil they use?

WildPlumDx

anyone know what type of oil a 4g54 engine uses ? i put in magnatech which is 20/50 i think of the top of me head but the hydrulic lifter dont seem to like it maybe its to thick ? coz a mate of mine said his diamante uses 5/50 or something and reakon i'm using a to thick oil! also put moreys in it too the oil thickener stuff maybe that was the misstake!

i would be using a 20w50 or a 15w40, really depends on mileage, i'm geussing your 54 is fairly old and worn. your mates diamante is a much newer motor and is designed to run on synthetic low viscocity oil, your motor is designed to run on dinosaur juice.

In fact if you put moreys in i'm assuming it was put in to quieten the lifters, in which case you won't get rid of the noise by using a lighter oil, you'll just make it worse. Also bear in mind that magnatech is a semi synthetic oil, i've personally never had anything but trouble when trying to run a motor that has been running on mineral oil on synthetic, somehow it always ends up burning, and getting a lot of blowby.

As a side not, i'm really keen to know how they 'magnetise' magnatech, cos for it to be trully magnetic it would need metallic matter in it....

Guest orange_mini

could run on the same principle as this:

when you rub a plastic rod on your jersey and place the rod under a running tap the water moves away from the rod.

magnatec is sweet as man , MIGHT be a bit thin due the age of ur engine but i ran the esky on magnatec and it was mint , u shouldnt need the moerys with magnatec as it doe sthe same job , bit puzzled on the lifters though and i cant for the life of me remember how to fix that

Nah don't use Magnatec - it's too thin. It's a 10W40.

--> isnowi - Magnatec 10W40 is a full mineral oil -- contrary to popular beleif it's not a semi synthetic - ring Castrol, they will be able to confirm.

Mitsubishi specify from factory to use 20W40 or 20W50. The 4G54 Astron isn't technologically advanced (SOHC 8V, chain driven) so a 20W50 would be just fine. The 20W50, being thicker, will increase the oil pressure, and give better lubrication - it doesn't need anything thin because lets face it, the ol' Astron isn't a high revving screamer :twisted: