diff question

drftnmaz

i have to take my diff apart and was wondering if there balanced from factory? ie if i take the bit with the spiders off the crown wheel do i need to mark it and put it back in the same place?

i've never bothered taking a diff apart i've always just changed the whole head. :rolleyes:

No, but it wouldn't hurt. You do need to adjust the shims properly to make sure the crown and pinion mesh properly and then set the preload correctly.

basically you will just be bolting it back together then. just wipe the'blue' on the crownwheel and the pinion teeth and rotate slowly . as the two mesh it should wipe the blue off evenly in the middle of the teeth. if its wiping off 1 side or the other more you will need to shim it in or out by adding or removing shim washers.

For preload you will need a new crush washer - then it's book settings. Otherwise really carefully measure the torque it took to take the pinion bolt off, and then do it up exactly the same amount.