Mini help.

Guest dreadedretard

Guest dreadedretard

My mini has been making a small whining noise which i was told was the timing belt just wearing in. It had started wearing in and was quietning when today went for a drive to drop of my mums coppa mate at central and it started making louder noises and almost a crunching noise. So bad to put your head in the engine compartment or just above it you need earplugs. its so so so high pitch and so deafning. I hate seeing my mini like this!!!!! HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!what could it be???

Guest dreadedretard

sorry yes a timing chain. and it was replaced and the last owner said it would wear in or sum bullshit. and no it hasnt been rebuilt. Its the same as from when it was built. cheers.

Guest dreadedretard

Yea i just got home so ill just undo the alternator completely and run the engine for a few seconds to see if its the radiator or the alternator.

Guest dreadedretard

I took off the fan belt and undid the alternator but the sound was still there. so its not from the radiator, the alternator or just the fan belt itself. The only thing now i would think would be the timing chain. But something i forgot to mention was that when its running and its just idling with the clutch in the sound goes quiet but then when i release the clutch (in neutral of course) the sound appears. its annoying me..... grr HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

Guest dreadedretard

oh yea... haha gearbox. I think ive solved it. i just gotta get a return spring for the clutch.

My theory is, is that there is no spring on the clutch so its not completely coming out which explains the thing when i put the clutch in it stops the noise. SO im thinking that if there is a spring on it, the noise will stop. *hopes* :?

it doesnt sound like the thrust bearing. the thrust bearing is only under load when ya depress the clutch pedal as the bearing runs on the fingers of the preasure plate if the bearing is stuff ya get noise on the clutch and none when ya foots off it . though from memory i think minis work back to front not sure

Guest blown4

id say its definatly the thrust bearing in the clutch,its really a job you need to pull the motor out to do,it may be better to get a mechanic to have a listen and maybe do the job too if you dont feel capable.it certainly sounds like thrust bearings to me..

tony :?

Guest dreadedretard

For some reason i fixed it by taking it out driving on Friday nite for 5 hours non-stop. the noise hasnt been back since. oh and i broke 100kph!!! YEA!!!! GO THE MINI!!!! anyone see a mini in town like mine? or remember laughing extremely hard at someone. well that was me with my mate driving. lol what a fun nite. get more respect and shit from that than my mates series 1.

Guest orange_mini

Off the factory floor it should be able to cruise at about 140, might need ear plugs and to duck down behind the steering wheel...

Guest dreadedretard

Man mine cant ay.. i only get to 100 on a small slope packed out. after that it just doesnt move. just me in it is probably another story. and my mate was driving wen we got to 100 so he probably just stopped there. but yea im gna try it sometime. lol