Mini Conversion.

Guest dreadedretard

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Deton8

Subframe, engine and gearbox mounting brackets, top shock absorber brackets and fitting kit.

£775 to £850

Lower shock absorber brackets and fitting kit, each.

£40.00

Suspension adjustable lower arms with rose joints and fitting kit, each (exchange)

£77.00

Steering rack and fitting kit

£56.00

Engine lower stabiliser and fitting kit

£50.00

Gearbox stabiliser and fitting kit

£67.00

Drive shaft, each (exchange with Honda drive shaft)

£84.00

Alternator bracket and fitting kit

£50.00

Cable type clutch to hydraulic conversion kit

£60.00

Steering shaft

£65.00

Exhaust adaptor

£39.00

Gearbox selector shaft (exchange)

£72.00

Front mounted radiator

£160.00

Guest Deton8

anoither comapny:

Typical costs (current on the 2nd July 2004, all including VAT, subject to change) are:

Honda VTEC 1600cc engine approx. depending on availability £900 to £1,200

Subframe £1,000

Wiring loom conversion £220 N.L.A

Driveshaft,s £260

Coil over shocker conversion £225

Clutch cable conversion £95 N.L.A

Fuel pump, tank conversion, other sundries etc. £135 N.L.A

Suitable radiator £145

DTI Engine management system £750

Rear beam axle 4 inch wider £175

up-graded GTI vented brake discs each £25

Mini 6 inch longer fibre glass front £217

up-graded brake callipers each £88

word.....

all minis i've seen with vtecs in have had the bodyshell widened and run the radiator in the boot :shock:

seen a 12a turbo powered one as well, running a corna fwd gearbox - that was cool to watch on the track :twisted:

but yeah - 1275 it, buckets of torque.... mmm torque steering in a mini 8)

Yea the vtec needs the front of a round nose mini made longer this it not needed for a clubman shell which has a bit more room.

you best bet is an A series 1275 if you can't get a 1275GT or a metro go for a 1300 Austin Alegro which is not 1300cc but 1275cc.

Then remember mini drum front brakes are a shocker at the best of times so a disc brake conversion is but a must. There are a few options the main two are 1275 GT or mini cooper. The 1275 GT cost a bit but are cheaper than cooper ones the down side is you can't use 10 inch wheels any more unless you can find some reversed rims.

Have Fun

Roy

Guest dreadedretard

Cheers Roy.

Does anyone have a rough firgure how much a 1275 would cost to buy and also the price of the conversion? eg. parts, brakes... and whatever else i need? cheers.

A stock 1275 out of a 1300 or allegro etc is worth basically nothing. Putting it in depends on how much you do yourself but even paying for it wont be that expensive, its only a couple hours work.

Brakes ive never tried to buy, I guess $500 ??? probably a fair bit of demand

For someone whos mentioned your budget in the other threads youve got some unrealistic dreams. If you cant afford a set of carbs you cant afford engine conversions

Guest dreadedretard

Yea i know that. Im just searching options for it. Theres no point buying carbs at the moment so im looking at what i can buy for what price. Im not looking for get it done as such but seeing what i can do. 8)

Just looking around. almost like window shopping. Im dead serious about doing an engine conversion just not right now.

with brakes, I was going to use fronts off a metro turbo (vented with AP lockheed Four pots :twisted: standard)

not the easiest disc brakes (1275gt and cooper s bolt on) but they're mint... just need pre 1982 metro ball joints, mini steering arm, small mod to brake lines... you will not outdrive these brakes, they're awesome

1275gt brakes I'd go for if you dont do that as I'm told cooper s ones are alomost $2000 to get a decent set.... but you dont get 4 pots

a pre 1982 metro set will go on with just the pipe mod and steering arms, but they aren't vented......

engine, make sure you get a good one, a rusted out metro would be mint,or a rusted 1275 gt.... morris 1300s have slightly different einge mounts so you would have to use your gearbox, also, get the late model "pot" type CV driveshaft gearbox, rubber cross gearboxes (your mays have one of these) are gay, the crosses fuck out all the time.... even cooler would be a universal joint type cooper box lol...

1275s are really asthmatic in comparisson to a 998, they only have a 1.5" carb (998s love these) which is far too small... again, chuck twin carbs at it, extractors (cooper long centre branch type-coby do a good set) and you're away..... modifying an allegro or morris 1300 radiator to fit ad not foul the subfrome wouldn't hurt either, they're quite a bit bigger, and try and get a really early MK1 4 blade fan, they're noisy but flow way more air, and suck less power.

after this - bags of torque, even more fun than it is now...... my 1275 used to spin the wheels into top gear, and it was stock haha

but yeah, make sure you do decent brakes, thats one thing I never had, soon as you get drums warm they suck - i used to constantly have mine smoking..... 1275 master cylinder would be cool too, they're twin circuit which helps even drum brakes (just remember to change the rear bias valve to a tee)

as long as you keep it cool, and dont thrash it too much, it'll be a mean little car, will show up a few unweary drivers as well

Like you've read my mind. I've been looking into this honda city turbo thing but haven't found any info yet. I'd like to get a hold of one to measure it up. If you do find any info on let me know. The VTec thing has been done heaps.

Will take heaps of time and $$. I have neither. I've got to keep in mind that this mini is supposed to be my everyday, cheap runabout. Not another project.

At this stage i'm just keepeing an eye out for other austins/ morris' etc with 1300 engines. That way there isn't all the extra costs of certs etc and its a simple swap.