Mini mods.

Guest dreadedretard

Guest dreadedretard

Im tihnking about buying a mini and i was wondering what sort of mods engine wise and body wise which are relatively cheap and make a min sound or look awesome. And any prices if ya got any. cheers.

Guest kornstar

twin carbys, little coby, some better wheels, trumpets instead or a filter, bigger head, like from a 1300, and a bit of a bore can be done for around 1000-1500, oh and ull need a biger fuel tank :D

HOw much you reckon it'd take to get a nice tuff mini compared to a starlet?

Alot. It would cost a fortune to make a mini keep up with a 4age starlet which isnt an expensive conversion. If you want more than about a 17 sec 1/4 be prepared to spend big money.

Whats your budget/goal? My mini cost about 10 grand all up and would have surprised most starlets but still wouldnt have even tried against a 4age

Alot. It would cost a fortune to make a mini keep up with a 4age starlet which isnt an expensive conversion. If you want more than about a 17 sec 1/4 be prepared to spend big money.

Whats your budget/goal? My mini cost about 10 grand all up and would have surprised most starlets but still wouldnt have even tried against a 4age

the one i saw wasnt a 4age. it was out of one of them turbo starlets.

i saw one posted else where about a Lexus v8 in one. it did like 14 secs completly stock

http://www.zcars.org.uk/mini/mini-single.htm - Motorbike engines

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/minigt/ - Starlet GT.

the one i saw wasnt a 4age. it was out of one of them turbo starlets.

i saw one posted else where about a Lexus v8 in one. it did like 14 secs completly stock

http://www.zcars.org.uk/mini/mini-single.htm - Motorbike engines

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/minigt/ - Starlet GT.

I meant a 4age starlet not a 4age mini. Only conversions ive seen in Minis are VTEC, GT starlet, vauxhall, ford zetec, various v8s. None of which would be cheap

Guest blown4

you can get a bolt in front subframe from england to fit a v-tec complete with disc brakes,shafts,the worx

or you could get the bolt on twincam head conversion from england also,offers twice the power of the cooper s.

Guest dreadedretard

Hey guys... calm down.. i want CHEAP things i can do but still keep it relatively standard. i got $900 to spend i dont wanna get excessive horsepower just make it run better and maybe sound a bit better. 10 grand on a mini...... wow what did u do to it? You got any pics?

Guest dreadedretard

Yea yesterday when i went to look at the mini i just bought i drove round in it for about 15 minutes. Feels real real fast and the steering is really nice and light. like your on a cloud :D getting it tonite at 8pm.. on 12 hours to go.. 8) How could i clean the oil and shit off the block and all around the engine bay? i wanna detail some stuff but before i do that i wanna get it clean... any ideas? steam clean?

Guest dreadedretard

Cheers!!! only 3 hours to go till i get my hands on it. I got big plans but no money:( what would u guys do straight off with $200? any good ideas for mods? just even cleaning or anything.. I NEED IDEAS!!!!

I reckon do exactly as i did when i first got my mini, and more.

Buy three cans of white paint, 1 primer. Paint the roof $40

Bonnet stripes-either paint or use vynil from mitre10 $5 meter

Later I got these:

Spotties-repco$80

Mirrors-repco$40 painted white using plastic primer as base

Number plate surrounds-chrome or white$25

it's the small things that make a big difference to an old car

Thought I should show yas some pics of my mini.

http://71mini.myphotoalbum.com

The first few photos are of prior to xmas. The rest show the full repaint in progress summer04/05. I have since put the cooper stripes back on.

My suggestions would be most things will cost more than that, youd be better off putting that $200 towards a set of twin carbs or a decent exhaust or something rather than wasting it on crap from repco.

Though I do agree with the painted roof.

Cosmetically just keep an eye out in the buy sell for a cheap set of 10" mags. 12s are pretty hard to find cheaply (my 1275GT needed 12s to clear the brakes so I know) and anything larger will need expensive tyres (try finding a low profile 13" :wink: )

Next thing I would look at doing is a decent smaller steering wheel, pretty much all standard ones are like a bus, thatll improve the car more than any other mod.

Next id get into motor work. You can pick up 1275cc motors out of 1300s etc pretty cheaply which will make a big difference, Then id look at a set of extractors and a decent exhaust. 1 7/8" press bent will probably be the best comprimise of performance and price. Ive always been a fan of twin carbs they just go better once theyre setup properly and contrary to alot of rumors dont go out of tune any quicker than a single. Dont worry about webbers or anything cause a sidedraught needs firewall mods to fit and a downdraught will offer worse performance than SU's.

I wouldnt go too hard on the motor without looking at the brakes though. The drums are pretty pathetic. Front discs are highly reccomended, though dont worry about cooper ones theyre only marginally better than drums. You need Cooper S or 1275GT (needs 12" wheels unless you reduce them in size) or there are a few other alternatives).

So summing up for $200 the first thing Id be looking for would be a smaller steering wheel (smaller the better, yours is so large thats why its so light, mine was 12" which loads it up nicely)

HTH

Guest dreadedretard

FOr the moment im keeping it standard. ive got $900 in the bank which can be funds but i dunno. Theres some carbs on trademe for $200 with ramflo filters. but im not too sure ay.. How much power does it give them?? the mini i got goes pretty mint ay got up to 80 and it was still purring ay. got my mum a bit scared but its all good:D oh and do you guys know much about quickshifts? ive been looking through mini mags and theres these kits for like $100 and they make gears shorter and easier to go between 2nd and 3rd. at the moment im having trouble with it ay. not used to it. i dunno if its an investment or not.

Yeah agree- definitely the steering wheel. I had a spare wildcat so it didnt cost me. Forgot about that.

Depends how big you plans are whether or not your gonna mess with it's current engine. I havent done much with my engine apart from a cheap k&N. Engines too far gone to do up so i'm not gonna bother buying carbs etc. Keeping an eye out currently for austin 1300s allegros etc to nick the 1300 out of. May sound a bit nuts but I'm toying with the idea of a Honda City Turbo engine. It'll involve alot of work but VTEC conversions are always being done. So why not a lil 1200turbo. Any thoughts, tell me.

Cheers

Guest dreadedretard

Yea i dont know ay.. i aint into the whole engine swap i just want the original engine or a 1275. i dnt have alot of money as of yet and coz of my age might be harder to get insurance. Do you no anyone with a cheap sterring wheel and boss kit? i hate the wheel i got now. and what you think about the quickshift thing? i could get one for like... $150 from England.

You'll get used to the gear shift. $100 on that seems like a waste to me but would definitely be something to consider when you do have the 1275, mags and all else. Theres always good stuuf on trademe for minis so keep an eye out. If your after some cheap spotties the T.M member clarebell37 auctions a new pair every 30mins at no reserve. For spares theres a place called minispares on wordsworth street. Check them out sometime.