308 questions

Guest grousev8

Guest grousev8

Hey

Just wondering what the difference is between the red 308 and blue? I'm assuming there even is a red and blue 308, as I know of the blue/red 202.

Whats the difference from a 308 banjo diff and a normal v8 diff.

Sorry for the idiot questions as I'm new to this

I know there is a black 308 cause i had 1 and they're out of the early commodores. For the diffs, you can call autolab on 09 8370600, they can tell you the difference

If you want to change your trimatic, i have a th400 ( but its been pulled apart cause of a blown seal and i couldn't afford to get recond.)

red 308s are pre commodre and had a trimatic stud pattern where blue / black 308s had a chevy pattern for gmh turbo 350/400 trans though vl calais were trimatic but i thick they were an oddball setup limited run of blocks blue and blacks also have emmision gear on them where the red doesnt some hx/hz/wb holdens also had blue motors with chevy pattern

banjo diffs the head comes out the front like a 9 inch and salsbury v8 diffs have a back hat like a chevy 10/12 bolt diffs

yeah more than likely if it has no emission gear on the heads its a red there is really bugger all differance between them anyway the later motors make a little more power due to better head design but bugger all if you were gonna work it up go for vn or later heads with the proper manifold and cam costs a bit but the results are way better as the late heads are 200% better than the early ones. does it have 308 stamped on the block? if not it might b a 253 dont worry about the trimatic they can build them real strong these days just as good as a turbo 350 but lighter and less power sapping

dave

Also, what's the application? You may be better off with a Buick based 3.8 V6 from a VN or later Commonwhore, they haul ass and provide a lot better fuel economy, coupled with a supercharger and you're looking at some serious grunt, of course, then you lose the economy :lol:

yeah i had a vn v6 in a LC gtr torana went like a cut cat and did 30mpg on the open road with 3.5 diff gears did 14.2/98mph at the strip on stock engine/trans with 2.5in exhaust and cold air intake only. i think the late v6s have more hp and torque than the carby v8 commodes also alot lighter torrie only weighed 1080kg with almost 50/50 weight distrubution

yeah i know but having driven a 308 powered LJ i still think the six would have been qiker around a race trak the one i drove had heaps of grunt but was way to heavy in the front and understeered badly when pushed on a windy road they wouldve had to do alot of work on the front ends and brakes. the LH/LX was much better suited to a v8 just a bit more solid