Celeste 1600 Fuel problems

oldschoolGTO

hey,

I just bought a 78 celeste XL and found that its missing the fuel cut solenoid on the carb so cylinder no. 1 is always flooding and it runs shit

It also has had the ignition system rewired with a lucas sports ignition coil and i think a electric fuel pump thats not factory (because the electric fuel pump for the GTO is in the boot)

I was wondering if anyone knows if this model has a mechanical or electric fuel pump factory and/or has pictures of an engine bay of a celeste. also does anyone know where I can get a fuel cut solenoid for the carb?

cheers

well I have a celeste

I don't have pics sorry, but if you're in hamilton area, or keen to come there, I have the haynes manual if you need to borrow it. I haven't experienced any problems of that nature with my celeste, but my carb is worn as, makes it flood off the line, gotta feather the accelerator. Got a spare carb or anything that'll bolt straight on?

Thanks for the offer man but i'm in Dunedin so I can't drive up to check it out.

Does your Celeste have a mechanical Fuel pump and if so where abouts on the engine is it?

Do you know of any other cars that use that carb or have a carb that bolts straight on to the celeste.

the biggest thing at the moment is to find a fuel cut solenoid so the fuel stops syphoning into the engine after the ignition is turned off but no one in Dunedin seems to stock parts for carburettors anymore and there are no mitsi wreckers open at the moment.

Your flooding off the line may be the automatic choke which uses the cooling system to move a spring and with it the choke flap it isn't working well in my car and i'm thinking about changing it to manual.

I have the mechanical fuel pump, its on the left hand side of the engine bay. Id throw up a pic but I figured you'd understand.

As for sourcing a carb, the 1600 4G32 came on a number of models, from the celeste, to the lancer, to the 16L galant, so shouldn't be overly hard to find

there's a 4G32 in an EX lancer out at pick a part avondale at the moment, send me a pic showing exactly what this fuel cut solenoid looks like and i'll grab it and send it down for cost plus postage plus $10 for a couple of beers :D

postage should be fuck all too, i just sent the rear callipers off my lancer to hamilton today and it only cost ten bucks and they're about 6.5kg for the pair.

email pics to str_ng_r@hotmail.com if you're keen

cheers

Matt

i think he means an actual physical fuel cutoff, not just a power cut to his pump in which case it would have to be on the fuel line or on the carb somewhere, the closer to the carb itself the better so there would only be a small amount of fuel that could drain/siphon into the carb once the engine and pump had stopped running.

oldschoolGTO: have you thought about either moving your electric fuel pump to the engine bay or reinstalling a mechanical pump (depending on whats been done to your engine)? might be a way to get around your problem.

cheers

Matt

lowlancer - Check your haynes manual page 52 part 26 this is what i'm talking about. It should be just above the idle mixture screw on the carburettor and should have two wires coming from it.

the fuel cut solenoid shuts the idle passage of the carburettor when the ignition is not on so that fuel from the float chamber can't syphon into the inlet manafold through the idle passage after the engine stops (I think it's also known as the anti-dieseling solenoid). so this is what happens to the celeste

-running on three cylinders

-lacks torque when driving up hills (i had to drive it home)

-sometimes runs on after ignition turned off

-when i check the plugs cylinder 1 is always fuel fouled while the rest are good

-I know i have spark at cylinder 1 but the plug always comes out fouled.

The celeste has a mechanical fuel pump below the distributor which has been closed up with bog and the ignition system has been rewired (was like this when i bought it) on the coil there is a wire which has been cut off (which i'm assuming is the power to the solenoid)

with the EX lancer i'm not sure the carburettor is the same because when in cromwell i had a look at some abandoned cars in the forest (ex demo derby) and the carb on the EX lancer there was different. There was also a 16L coupe there which had the same carb as the celeste (and the two on the GTO) but it also was missing the solenoid.

The reason im not putting a mechanical pump back on is because it would be hard to find a new one and i don't think it's the problem.

rxtoy- I'll sort out a pic and if you could check it out for me that would be awesome

cheers guys

Guest 78lancer

my 4g32 doesnt have a anti dieslin solinoid and im still runnin the standard mechanical fuel pump... lowlancer i done 200ks on the rebuilt engine n she sweet as but now i got a wof cumin up and who no's where 2 get cheap front brake hoses 4 old lancers??

I got you now boss. Probably helps that I know where I'm looking now! :oops: Basically your only options are to find the solenoid or get a carb, which would be a lot easier I'd say. Why don't you just get something like a 32/36 for it, instead of locating another 4G32 carb?

Are you sure the EX you looked at was a 1600 4G32?

78lancer-The wreckers.

oldschoolGTO: same offer on a complete carb from a 4g32 if you want???? assuming i can find one but there's usually a couple around, and i'd prefer a pic or some sort of id number cause there's a few different carb setups i've seen on 4g32's (including double carbs but i'm pretty sure i won't find those)

78lancer: if you're in Auckland i'm going to have 1 upper and 2 lower hoses spare from my front strut conversion. not new but good condition, if you want them they're yours to pickup. that is of course assuming that the older lancers used the same brake hoses?????

they're free anyway so it won't hurt to check

cheers

Matt