Port and polish (4AGE)

Guest kp61_drifta

Guest kp61_drifta

hey guys i just boutght a 4age off trademe for 300 bucks so shes a bit rough, ihavnt picked it up yet but wen i do i want to get it ported and polished, i asked my tutor at tech how much it would cost etc and he said it just takes time and that i should do it myself, and hey im all keen to try new things i jst aint to keen on fucking up a perfectly good head. Could someone please explain how i can do this, i dont want to have huge ports or anything at the moment i jst wanna clean things up and make them a little more free flowing.

Cheers,

Sam

Guest kp61_drifta

thanks guys this should help heaps, also does anyopne know of any factory turbo setups that would be suitable a 4age as ive decided id prefer this over the supercharger, i thought about the twin turbo set up off a supra but im not too sure any help would be much appriciated.

Its easy as, get ahold of a die grinder. Make a template to the size you want to open it up to. Dont go overboard 3-5mm, trace it onto the head and onto the manifold and grind it out. Ive done it to my 2l ford head and it came up good.

Guest kp61_drifta

ohk man sounds good, so i need to grind out both the inlet ports and the manufold, one of my tutors at tech suggested i strip the head down and blow chalk dust down throught the manufoldand grind away all the area covered with the dust, called it gas flowing or sumthing

Guest mongorola

hey wat 4age u got? if its the 16valve wif the big port and tvis it isnt realy necesary to port em oout to much maybe just a clean up wuld b good as they are already a tad over sive for wat they are unless u are wanting to run big ass turbo wid sum high boost and big cams, im just about to do a turbo conversion to a 4age as well i usin a td05 turbo off a vr4 and custom exhaust manifold shuld make things a tad interesting.

Guest kp61_drifta

hey man, im not too sure i havnt picked it up yet but its the one out of an 84 FX-GT, how much far TD05s worth? would i need a custom manufold or would some osort of adapter plate do the trick, also if i got a head of the 4agze would this ower compression enough for a turbo conversion, yea im not want to do anything too extreme my tutor at tech sed something about gas flowing the head just to make sure that the port line up nicely with the intake manufold and to polish and de-carbon the valve etc, he said that i should get a little more power from just making the head more free-flowing

Guest mongorola

hey, yea it shuld b a big port which is cool. i got my turbo for 30 buks off good ol trade me i gettin a manifold custom made but i guess u culd use some kinda adaptor plate?? umm the best way bout goin bout lowerin comp wuld b to get a copper gasket bout 2mm but the standard comp is all good till bout 8psi i dnt know how much it wuld lower the comp stickin ze head on but if u put ze pistons and rods in it wuld lower comp a bit and they are also forged so can handle the jandel, yea i just got my head freshend up a tad acid bathed and just cleand up the ports a wee bit