1982 XL250R - Road Legal - Seeking advice

probablyxl

I bought this about 5 years ago and never considered insuring it, but it seems their value has only gone up and worst case, I'd like to be able to replace it.

It has just had new brakes, bearings, tyres and a few others bits, waiting on a carby from AliExpress (I asked around and after market seems like the only way, for pretty much all parts?). The WoF has been on hold the whole time I have owned it, but I am now in a place to spend money on it to get it to its road legal, fresh glory.

What should/shouldn't I do cosmetically? I'd like to repaint and upholster it. I hear you can get original stickers for them?

This beautiful bike is not lost on an amateur like me, it's the second I have owned (first one got stolen) and I wouldn't sell it even in my most dire times. I will maintain it for the rest of my life.

Can someone please give me a proper appraisal from being road legal as is?

I appreciate any and all advice.

For those in the know, it is a "Silk Road" version I have been told.

120592997_10163974973370251_7113134160803804479_n.jpg.c54df7316c553c38c8218b5a3ceb5d04.jpg

• Like 2

Nice rig! I have a thread about mine on here somewhere

they are very cool and capable bikes. Be interested to see what the quality of the ali carb is like. 
Keep it as original looking as poss. Plenty of haggard ones come up for sale, but there are very few left that are in tidy original condition and I haven’t seen a road legal one come up for sale for a long time. I saw a road legal XL250S (model before this with 23” front wheel) recently sold for 5k wof reg and was very tidy. They are somewhere around there for mint examples 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TimShadboltfan27 said:

Nice rig! I have a thread about mine on here somewhere

they are very cool and capable bikes. Be interested to see what the quality of the ali carb is like. 
Keep it as original looking as poss. Plenty of haggard ones come up for sale, but there are very few left that are in tidy original condition and I haven’t seen a road legal one come up for sale for a long time. I saw a road legal XL250S (model before this with 23” front wheel) recently sold for 5k wof reg and was very tidy. They are somewhere around there for mint examples 

Do you think keep the same colours or just leave it? I am not too phased on painting it but it's something to do.

42 minutes ago, datlow said:

was the old one stuffed? could likely get all parts for it as keihin still make carbs etc

The fella I bought it off (and the one that got stolen) knows his stuff, so I would say yes. I vaguely remember him saying we could do this or that, but it was just easier to get a new one from Ali for $120 or so.