Thriller's (alfalfa's) 1973 Yamaha YB125

alfalfa

Interesting post.  I seem to have also acquired a similar bike, but i cant quiet workout exactly what I have got.  My frame number is A7-421086, but doesn't agree with the YB125 frame number format number.  The closest I can get is the YA6m but apparently the last frame number for that was around the A7-250000

What is your frame and engine number.

Hey buddy - my frame number is A7-421115. Very close to yours!

From a bunch of internet searching apparently Yamaha imported a few containers of these bikes to NZ in the mid 80s from India/Taiwan and sold them as 'retro' bikes. Hence when looking up on the NZTA database the YB125s mostly appear as 86-87 models - the year they were first registered.

• Like 1

Hi Alfalfa.

The bikes would definitely appear to be out of the same batch.  Really strange to note however that mine ended up in South Africa! (sorry I joined the forum and haven't been to go introduce myself yet, so I am sure somebody will be chomping soon :) about the bad manners)   I really am starting to think that they were built up from the scraps bin though and were probably destined for the non mainline market, ie indonesia india bangledesh etc.

Does yours have an official engine number stamped onto it anywhere?  Mine doesn't appear to have one.  Also the internet seems to have very little info on these bikes.

@david661 whoops sorry I missed that in your last question - Engine # is A7A-421115 - matching numbers with the frame.

My petrol tank has a sticker on it with pictorial instructions for washing/oiling the air filter, with some kind of Hindi or indian script underneath the english. I'll get a good photo when I get home and add it to this post.

• 5 weeks later...