VintageSpecials KT250 project

VintageSpecial

More progress and another little film. I stripped the front forks. Not totally, I didn't strip the internals, just got them out so I could clean and check everything. The insides don't quite match the manual/parts books I have. One was worse than the other. Looked like the oil had never been changed. Springs were within serviceable limits. I cleaned the internals in the ultrasonic cleaner and they cleaned up nicely. I will fit new oil seals and have new dust covers coming (I hope). The tubes I wire brushed and have sitting in Evaporust to get all rust out of the rust pits. I will fill the slight depressions with epoxy then sand them smooth to make a nice surface for the seal to ride over. Luckily most rust was not where the forks pass the seals. I made a tool to hold the inside bolt to allow you to undo the Allen bolt in the base to get it all apart.

A small film is here: https://youtu.be/bHCRbjLJTvk

Simon

• Like 2

Next in the saga: 

I cleaned all the rust off the forks then put layers and layers of anti rust paint on them and sanded it off again. Should save the seals I think.

Also the frame is back from the blasters and is all painted. And I stripped the wheels and will get new bearings for them. Does anyone know what the top steering bearing is?

Simon

• 7 months later...