Metalheads Slice of Piazza

Metalhead96

Had this for a while now,  toyed with selling but finally acquired a place with a garage so thought fuck it. Let's do it

Considering the cost of rwd manual jap sleds is getting more and more towards the sale of organs I know I won't be able to find something for as cheap as I got this for a couple years ago

First job was to tackle the rust, extra crispy but still palatable. 

IMG_20220814_132216_664.jpg

IMG_20220814_132216_686.jpg

IMG_20220814_132216_697.jpg

IMG_20220814_132216_786.jpg

IMG_20220814_132216_802.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Realised I've got a fair bit of cleaning up of parts to be done. Not going over board as the snowball effect will definitely be at play

Pulled the intake manifold apart, found the engine mounts and brackets to the gearbox so will give em a quick parts clean and smash with the water blaster

Injectors have me worried, want to replace the hose tails but only one came off as I was different and had 2 clamps as opposed to the other 3. Cut em off carefully? 

Also keen to give em an ultra sonic clean if anyone local has one and wants to swap some sharns 

• 3 weeks later...

Got side tracked so started fitting up the stereo and had to modify the slots as they are not typical din size. Also has cup holders now! Top slot has 2 cup holder pop out and a tray to hide your... "smokes" 

Need to make some brackets to hold it all but does the job. Door speakers in with crossover and tweeters too. Next will be the amp and tube sub

e836fca5-209d-485e-aa43-ad33d813a556photo.jpeg

received_3226892350856192.jpeg

1ec04995-f3f1-4bd6-9534-0cd5dda4139aphoto.jpeg

9f123648-2f86-4640-97f9-3dfbe97b762ephoto.jpeg

0f9ab566-94c0-4b75-8297-0e2adb9d8e73photo.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well hit a snag in the road but its not all bad news.

After not being able to attend nats the next closest deadline was to have this going for my mates wedding, plan being to get the g200z back together and atleast running, needing a couple of things on the head tidied up so drop it off at the machine shop.

2 days late the phone rings

"yeah mate, heads fucked, bent by about 1mm"

faaaaaaark, no more wedding cruising.

So now the twincam swap can commence

Knowing what i needed to clean up the motor I set about making a list and getting some pricing together, found all the bits im needing aside from needing a MSG 5 speed bellhousing with the starter on the passenger side, plenty of options there so no dramas.

Then comes the fun bit... Wiring

With the G200W I also snagged the entire loom except for what runs to the back of the car plus the ECU, digi dash and the control box for it. Needed to take the dash out anyway so whipped it out and somewhat laid the new loom in place closely to the old loom in the car. Man If looking at one loom is daunting two is even worse.

Going through I found a few things that didnt match up. One being that the plugs to connect the front half of the loom to the rear doesnt match what in the car, the pods either side of the dash cluster have a couple of different plugs too but this could be from the donor vehicle having cruise control which I wont be needing, wiper motor mounted differently so will need to extend that part to reach.

Have started pulling the old loom out and labeling as I go, once out i can play the fun game of matching up what is correct and what needs changing, fingers crossed I can de-pin the plugs I need to change and swap them over. I managed to get myself an early workshop manual complete with full diagrams to help with some of the problems.

Other than the the rust has been put on hold as the goal is to atleast drive this to my new place then worry about the rust once there.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Update time

Dug into the twincam donk and all is looking... okay? Car it came out of had been parked up for about 20 years and going off the head gasket I pulled off I can see why. Completely blew out number 1 and number 2 and 4 were not far behind. Checking over the block, head and pistons etc it doesnt look like its done any damage which is good. Cliff bond has a gasket kit on shelf (un-bloody-believable) and various seals etc, coolant galleries need a serious clean out though as they are full of shmutz. Seems alright though so onwards we go.

Loom is in place too and as far as I can tell I may not need to do any surgery to make it work.

Have confirmed that i need a diesel rodeo/bighorn bellhousing from a c190 or c223 to work with my gearbox.

Picked up a random panhard bar today to make fit as mine was bent like a banana and to be honest pretty skinny.

Latest goal is I want this on the road by my birthday. At this stage its pretty obtainable if all goes to plan.

chairs

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...