Dean's (deankdx) 1981 Holden Gemini wagon on a budget (Melbourne Australia) 2litre G200z upgraded

deankdx

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• deankdx

Top Posters In This Topic

12 September 2017

listening to a flock of seagulls.. no, not the band.. the tailgate squeaking/rattling.

t's having a sleep over at pedders, needs a rack end.. apparently "reco steering rack" can have buggered rack ends.. i didn't notice it when i did the Deano check.. could well have had loose wheel nuts when i did it even..

pedders didn't pick anything else.. so it should be RWC after rust repairs and finish off the rest of the list(i can make one now.. )

the list will probably include engine swap.. the 1600 seems fine but once it's in 3rd the power runs out... i think the 2 litre will pick up the slack here and some

13 September 2017

well, i rode 25km to pedders again today, slight rain.. 

was practically peak hour on the way home in the car, so video was boring.. got the best bit though..

pedders No Bull.. just needed a rack end and a wheel alignment.. $208.. good enough. should pass rwc other than the rust i need to finish and possible oil leaks(and swap speedo cable so the speedo works)

permit runs out today, didn't really get my moneys worth out of it, but the next one will be for RWC and rego

already had people asking if i was selling it.. didn't get a figure, but betting its less than what i've got in it now

17 September 2017

one less rust hole.. 

boot floor patch next available decent weather..  same for the foot rest refit

i should have stripped more of the sound deadener off with the dry ice.. turned out it strips with the wire brush pretty easy after doing a few tack welds nearby.

lePmidK.jpg

18 September 2017

had a bit of time today to look at some more "previous owner genius fixes"

i was looking for a accessory wire for the radio(didn't find one yet) found an illumination to tap into for the console gauges though..

while in there, investigated some more taped up wires.. i'll go looking for anything taped up now, i expect to see much the same.
auto wiring was cut and joined for the manual.. when i say joined.. twist n tape..(with this join under the carpet, would have been a pain to find out why the car wouldn't crank one day

there was some scotch lock thing not connected to anything.. but tapped in by literally wrapping the wire once around and tape.. 

E38DN1o.jpg

wzDM42E.jpg

ewqt9CR.jpg

• Like 1

19 September 2017

well, i spilled some fuel out of the tank when i removed it.. best way to test if it's going to catch fire after waiting to weld? get the blow torch and wave it around (and blow out the flames, as it was mostly petrol soaked dust.. ) recheck = fixed.. good to go. got the 2 litre water bottle with 3mm hole for squirting fire and also the fire extinguisher if i had the need.

today i got to test out My anti spark burning a hole in your elbow vein cover(leather couch section, blue to match the gloves..).. also found out it doesn't protect you from burns if you forget to put it on again lol..was torn between using it on My head at some point also.. stupid sparks. 

got some wheel tuck. jacked up and put a stand under the diff to get some better access to the boot floor for a patch. 
still having seam sealer on the floor was hindering progress, it does wire brush off if you can get a tack nearby and the heat softens it up. 

also chipped out the bog and rust out of the spare wheel well.. remembers the advert description ALL RUST REMOVED. Really now..

ran out of daylight again, but the patches are all tacked in.. will hopefully finish it all off tomorrow if i am not too sore from welding yoga. 

found a new use for a towball also.. dolly to knock against to shape metal

it's not pretty..i think a new full boot floor will be on the wish list when it's due for a paint job, will practice on the sedan.. as it's boot floor is far worse and i care less about that car.

9qTXEMp.jpg

YWsyYjs.jpg

SxRUU9p.jpg

xQZfowS.jpg

22 September 2017

finished off a lot of unfinished jobs today.. have tunes finally. 

worked until it was dark, even brushed on the body deadener inside on the floors by using the torch.. hoping it's properly dry for Monday when i might be able to put the interior back in for the last time. black carpet. maybe black console? have to see what looks better

i jacked up the front to fit the replacement speedo cable, and seal the front floor repair.. 

also while doing under dash yoga, fixed both screen vents.. people reaching around running dodgy wires etc must break the duct mountings = bugger all screen air.. big washer fixed it. 

LAHL2wD.jpg

still on the to do list: i'll make it now. no particular order.

2. rear speakers mount.
  3. paint wipers, probably black, but wondering if silver will suit the chrome locking strip..
  4. finish sealing the under floors and paint/body deaden
  5. bog and sand rear quarter repair and paint. 
  6. refit fuel tank and swap fuel sender/test..
  7. refit carpet, seat belts, seats, console
  8. wire up console gauges 
  9. fit rear door cards/make new ones?
  10. seal tail lights 

cant think of much more to do other than check the 2litre motor, clutch, do seals and paint and swap it in.. once done, RWC and rego..
fit lowered springs.. also likely.
13.DRIVE THE THING

looking forward to hearing the weber roar.

29 September 2017

painted wipers black

doors are done, except i still haven't found the left mirror .. bugger.

lower guard/door area was just untidy, i also burned a bit of paint while welding so it got a quick touch up.. 

what rust.. bog hides bodgy welds.. so does paint.. 

0aG5wmI.jpg

yXB4uMv.jpg

vuNtyE9.jpg

1Jyh9ks.jpg

not the best photo of the boot floor.. it will only get seen a few times, hope its not too ugly for Mr RWC? i have since painted red along the edge, but didn't mask the black.. ran out of fucks.. might revisit the underside with the sander possibly before a full coat of stone guard to get a consistent finish

6l2IENh.jpg

30 September 2017

boot area finished also, side panels screwed on with self tappers rather than the broken plastic push clips.. the floor panel wasn't painted very well, guessing it had vinyl or carpet at some point. Might need to wash the inside to match soon

lnvZwfx.jpg

black carpet from the panel van wreck.. obviously not a knox carpet.. must be tru fit, because it mustn't have fitted well.. has more cuts than a butcher shop.. i may tuck some black felt here and there to hide the gaps a bit.. but it's better than the rotten brown carpet it had

mBraMGx.jpg

24 October 2017

noting much been happening... i had wanted to get My "old school" mags suitable to use for a while now.. and wide tyres are not cheap.. new would be $420 min for the 4(cheapest on the market..or $520 for good brand.. ). used are non existent pretty much.. nothing uses them other than old cars.. mine were full of age cracks but i kept 2 to try resell incase someone is willing to risk for burnouts /display etc? or i may even do same..

contacted a tyre joint on ebay regarding standard size ones and what the fitting cost would be, basically said come down rather deal in person(aka not pay ebay fees) i asked if he ad 205s rather than the 175s that are common and he said only semi slicks.. gave me the brand etc and i checked they are road legal.. been used for track days..  $250 a set fitted..(new these tyres are $350 each i think?) Yokohama A048 

barely roadworthy, but they aren't for daily use.. just for something cool to fit from time to time(calder 1/4mile if i go) maybe a track day if i think it wont die..

i'll give them a scrub (not polish) and fit the caps etc.. but have to track down a set of 12x 1.5 shanked nuts with washers.. not going on until the low springs anyway.
haven't touched the car for a while, hoping to rego it after a motor swap within the next 4 weeks..

GlT6O7B.jpg

pwzcpg9.jpg

YcYCzxG.jpg

• Like 1

26 December 2017

well, incase you were wondering if this thing was ever going to be finished(lucky OS readers don't have to wait)... it has progressed to next level..

hopefully tomorrow the 2 litre will be in, and if not running tomorrow, should be the next day otherwise. 

fired it straight up and drove it trouble free 37km again this morning, runs well on stale fuel 
had to deal with a big huntsman spider inside on the windscreen and across the head lining, lucky it went out the window when i slowed down and it's probably found another spot to hide for the next drive..

engine swap just in time, one of the welsh plugs was leaking, just started..

8uCkOFH.jpg

i'd been gathering things for the 2 litre engine over the last week or so.. 
new clutch and spigot bearing, flywheel machined, fitted new rear main seal. 

80OydTT.jpg

started undoing stuff around 1pm ish today

obDGWwM.jpg

and by about 4pm it was out and under a tarp..

KR1nCEn.jpg

xOuMJjK.jpg

• Like 2

28 December 2017

on today's episode of sweat in the city.. HOT! everything was hot. Shed was hot, tools were hot and even the sweat dripping in My eyes was hot..

but.. still went out and got it done..
todays job included, new rocker cover gasket, water pump, thermostat, hoses for radiator and and bypass, fitted a neutral switch to the box i am using incase i ever fit cruise control.. fitted a new extension housing seal and clutch fork boot.. bolted up the 10 bellhousing to engine bolts(makes the 4 on a falcon Xflow seem inadequate) 

had a bit of a WTF moment fitting the engine in.. was up against the firewall before the engine mounts would line up, the panel van wreck must have had a diesel gemini cross member fitted(different mounting positions) it had diesel gearbox and cluster and firewall panel and remote brake reservoir setup etc.. 

once the brain kicked in, we swapped over the mounts and it dropped in.. called it done(gearbox is still sitting on a jack for tomorrow..) 

luckily i also planned ahead and cut the exhaust pipe and removed the extractors from the engine bay, this would have been a nightmare. . so there's another job for tomorrow.

so, next episode should be, refit.. gearbox cross member, tailshaft, clutch cable, radiator and fan, extractors with EGR pipe, few wires and bonnet and fire it up again...(maybe out the extractors only.. should hear it from a few kms away...

aK5cN0J.jpg

dcOkQ0k.jpg

lfAMIxY.jpg

voi5b1I.jpg

kv37o7e.jpg

• Like 1

28 December 2017

IT RUNS! (sat under a tarp in the rain for a few months.. fired up as soon as i hooked the coil up.

I had a tough choice of pulleys.. shithouse chrome or rust.. decided the chrome matched nothing in the engine bay, so went with it..

the EGR pipe was still a pain in the ass, but surprisingly still easier than any i have ever done on an Xflow..

i had to use the other extractors that fitted the EGR pipe, that then needed the 2.25" pipe to be adapted to the 2".. should suffice, didn't fire it up again with the 2" system.

when i got the panel van wreck, the throttle cable bracket was more like a twisted bit of wrought iron, mounted off one bolt it could have easily rotated and caused problems..
lucky i'm a hoarder and keep all kinds of brackets.. i initially tried an XF throttle bracket but the position didn't suit the cable arrangement or location. so out came the grinder, hammer and in the end it was tacked together, will be welded better tomorrow.

rain caused an early pack up..

finish it next episode. only a few things left on the list. fill radiator, gearbox, fit starter relay, maybe fuel pump change(not sure if the stock intank one is sufficient) fit gear stick, make an air cleaner work, and anything else i have missed, then test drive..

Ye3maoP.jpg

FGj52OJ.jpg

tDxqKPI.jpg

LmURC82.jpg

youtube doesn't show how loud it is straight out of the extractors..

accelerator pump diaphragm was stiff as a board.. 

• Like 1

29 December 2017

today i MADE an XF (34ADM) accel pump diaphragm fit this carby, just slotted the holes in the rubber slightly and stuck it on.. works = Fixed..

also made the spare stock air cleaner fit the weber.. No cardboard binky style templates here.. just a scribe on the rusty tin, drill holes, grinder, weld.. silastic the gabs.. fits PERFECT! better than the original one even.

welded and painted the accel bracket 

i think the air filter mounting to the rocker cover caused the oil leak i have to fix tomorrow, i think the rubber must have pushed in due to being done up too tight? will sus that.. and should be ready for a test drive soon, and maybe rego as early as late next week.

CWEjc4p.jpg

P9rSfQ9.jpg

Idq9I0u.jpg

0PDjGxQ.jpg

dcWM2UN.jpg

• Like 1

31 December 2017

drove it 36km home again this arvo.. no cops seen.. have a permit, but really didn't need to deal with them.

this engine, and the 1600 were both covered in oil you'd swear were from front and rear main seals etc.. but i reckon its the poor design of the rocker cover gasket.. all fixed now though.

has heaps of torque compared to the 1600 pulls like the diesel at 100kmh in 5th, suspect its doing 2800rpm at 100kmh it could cope with the diesel diff but wouldn't be as fun in 1st gear perhaps? i haven't changed spark plugs, leads, cap or rotor yet.. they are all from the been sitting nearly 5yrs engine..  same for the oil and filter too.. thought i'd circulate that before dumping it, and even after that i'll be putting in a gtx castol oil for a quick flush also. 

definitely handles a bit boaty at the current height. will get the low springs fitted soon. 

i cant see any reason it wont be roadworthy this week and rego'd as soon as i can after.  

to do list.. refit console, probably do first oil change and maybe do tune up stuff .. simples. the rwc joint is an exhaust mob, so they might get the job of remaking the mid exhaust section. the flange doesnt meet up very flat(no gasket currently also)  the 2.25 pipe goes over the 2" which i just slid into it maybe an inch or so for the moment.

OKpB747.jpg

Q2Zx0Jf.jpg

iSPJ0gO.jpg

5LGeYCZ.jpg

2 January 2018

well,  things happened today...

drove to rwc mob, got My Low springs fitted...turned out they were superlows.. got the exhaust repaired with a new mid section and gasket.. actually goes better even..

passed RWC with no issues(other than a ball joint boot replaced when springs went in and exhaust issue)

got to club reg mob and filled all that out.. decided rego day will be tomorrow.. didn't want to run into heavy traffic issues.

quick video of it now the exhaust leak doesn't make a racket (was going to rego it today, but ran out of time) the 2 litre hammers compared to the 1600.. chirps second by accident

w7VqgoD.jpg

Q9pYV6V.jpg

• Like 2

3 January 2018

finally registered.. 

will still be sorting out rear springs, console gauges, trim panels and maybe new carpet(not a fan of the butchered black one)

might plan to fit a universal electric pump in with a gas safety switch rather than the low voltage weird in tank pump that gets a signal from the alternator. more wires to run.. 

also planning to fit rear speakers in the tail gate after all.. because i got another set of lexus speakers to fit(4" pioneer) 

so the project is not over, but it's less of a priority. Glad to be finally driving it before the Donald and Kim drop the bombs(ha.. different crisis in 2021)

5EbtVnD.jpg

5 January 2018

well, 120kms under it's belt now..  i need to jack up the diff tomorrow.. check wheel bearings or something.. (its making a noise in the diff area)

also had the dash doing weird things tonight on it's first night drive( high beam indicator when on low beams and a blinker light staying on.. plus illumination not working .. probably a bad earth or fuse issue)

Yesterday i ordered PEDDERS LOW springs for the rear, i asked will they guaranteed be there in the morning.. YEP 10.30 unless the truck breaks down.. so rocked up there just before the truck arrived.. MY SPRINGS NOT ON THE TRUCK.. FFFFUUUUUUU..  so went home and got the Super Low Kings i got with this car initially.. thinking at minimum i'll fit them just in between swapping the wagon ones into the sedan(found out wagon rears are slightly stiffer and would probably level out the daily that had a saggy rear.)
Pedders also wanted $88 to fit them.. NOPE.. 10min job, i can do that myself thanks..

after fitting the kings and seeing where it was at..PERFECT! .. PEDDERS CAN GET STUFFED lol... called a local mob for wheel align just for toe and got squeezed in almost straight away awesome.. suspension DONE! (the saggy sedan springs would probably have been similar in the wagon but not stiff enough, they have different spring rates)

I'm sure i'm going to regret going club rego on this car, it's so much fun to drive. compared to the diesel daily its a rocket. 

wheel align specs, it was an optical illusion of neg camber, well it had some but not heaps. it will have to do as is.

QiS1ggI.jpg

c2J4vsx.jpg

sedan used to be lower in the rear, now with wagon springs it sits level and they are a slightly stiffer spring too. 

pp0mJK0.jpg

• Like 1

5 January 2018

this one was supposed to take 10 weeks, not 10months... still better than some projects though..

i remembered why i didn't check the oil... couldn't undo the nut.. but HAD TO now, just in case..

has oil, will change it soon just in case, might pull the wheels off at Marks in Geelong when i get there.. if i get there..

drove it 5km this morning to buy a spanner because i couldn't get the socket on with a ratchet ... (see small pic with oil showing) jacked it up from the chassis and it allowed the socket Doh.. ahh well. )  in that 5km it seemed acceptable, not sure what noise i heard last night. find out when it breaks.. everything seems fine still on the jack with both wheels off etc.

e2Fqpg4.jpg

ygfAIrK.jpg

had a bit of a video for the freeway onramp.. window down isn't ideal.. may do another with the window up.

some fool in a turbo G6E was going way too slow to merge, i reckon the diesel would have caught up to it even.

5 January 2018

i drove to Geelong  today to catch up with Mark.. was about 300km all up, i topped up the tank at 200km (100km of local spirited driving) and it averaged 14litres per 100km.. but the second 200km 95% highway got 8.5litres per 100km, reasonable enough.

noise in the diff turned out to be road noise(maybe?) it seriously needs carpet or sound deadener somewhere.. some roads are quiet.. 

its going to be 40odd degrees tomorrow, so i'll take it out in it and see if it runs hot with the stock fan and radiator.. seems not fussed at all at 30deg.

Geelong freeway road is rough as guts(not so noticeable in the diesel daily gemini.. but lowered wagon is good at finding bumps in the road.)