SOHC’s 27 Ford RPU

SOHC

I took the sump off and removed the oil pump and used a spare pump shaft to see if the cam gear has broken loose and even if I turn it with pliers its not slipping so thats not the problem. I now think its cavitation or something to do with my remote filter or me leaving part of the oil pick up out.

20220912_120635.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pump looks good inside, I fitted an Argentinian made rebuild kit that was about 50 years old when the motor was done, but i didn't fit that little tube, the Fords dont have it but the Mercurys do, and I have the Mercury witch had all the fittings to run a remote filter and oil cooler.

20220912_124540.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I got this small AC oil barth filter, I took it apart and some of the dimensions inside were too small for a V8 but I am reworking the whole inside, my carb is a Holly 94 witch is like 180 CFM, I am ditching the wire filter as small bits of wire can come off, I hope to find some filter foam with large open cells, I hope it won't block with oil, I can test it with the vacuum cleaner 1st.

20221121_185552.jpg

• Like 2

I think its sorted now, welded a 1/4" stud and made a little tube in the top of the cap and brazed it in so if it gets water on it it wont leak into the carb, the cap was crimped on before but now its totally rebuildable, I will put oil and foam in it and check it agents the old filter with a vacuum gauge on the vacuum cleaner, it may need silicon where it use to be swaged together, I am worried how the oil barth and the foam will behave together.

20221122_213309.jpg

• Like 6

I some how zinc plated every thing, I have a phosphoric acid barth I use for cleaning copper and it use to eat steal but now the acid is a dark green and just plates steel, I put some rusty bolts in and forgot and a few hours they looked like brand new.

20221123_124348.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

That was a total waste of time, its restrictive, I jammed a hair shampoo bottle on the end of the vacuum that fitted the air filter base and punched a small hole in the side to check vacuum, believe it or not that little filter I am using at the moment has no restriction, I did make a foam filter for it a few years ago, oil barth dosnt flow enough and it did just what I thought and fill the filter with oil.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...