SOHC’s 27 Ford RPU

SOHC

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Working on the clutch tonight, it’s all really getting expensive, the black pressure plate is rebuilt but the housing is shitty and has flogged holes and brazing so had a hunt in my junk pile and found another good one, I was going to use a 9” car pressure plate but flywheel is filled for an 11” truck, I am going to send the whole lot off to get rebuilt and see if I can get lighter springs 

C4D1F852-E3DE-4A65-8A96-AB56AFA53E4B.jpeg

1208C49D-D8AC-4305-8564-4AC8D1DE154B.jpeg

• Like 4

I have almost everything now to complete the work apart from main bearing cap studs, and a ring gear, pilot bush and clutch throw out bearing and clutch plate, I got another 5T big truck camshaft, max power and torque kick in at about 2000 RPM, I have one in the green motor, it’s an odd feeling, you can let the clutch out before touching the throttle and thing runs off the smell of an oily rag.

• Like 4

dose anyone have a sheet metal folder? I have plans to make a new exhaust system, I got those mufflers from flyingbrick years ago, I want to have it exit behind the diff as its coming out right by my ear and the wheels swirl the fumes into the car

I just need main bearing cap studs now, I have to remove the clutch release fork and shaft from the bell housing as I remember the fork was loose on its rivit, I might make a new one out of some good steel and beat it on good. That reminds me, I must check a few things inside the bell housing like bearing retailer seal etc.

• Like 1

I am thinking of changing the exhaust system to make it easier on me so I am not getting defend and fumed, I was thinking of making some mufflers like a flowmaster and have it exciting behind the diff, the mufflers would cover that crappy spot where I am missing the panels between the tray and the body, I think it would look sweet, I could fold up 2 channels and weld them together and weld in V shape baffling and have that metallic v8 rumble, it has a soft glass pack tone at the moment but it’s like sitting next to x2 15” sub woffers and rumbles your whole insides and earmuffs don’t do anything.

A0ECE8CB-D667-4868-B5D0-560D2F7D3B9C.jpeg

• Like 5

I will take the flywheel and shit in tomorrow, I will see if they can put lighter springs in the pressure plate,  then I will take all of the engine down to the builders and hope like fuck for no problems.

for some reason the military engines have little strange things all over them like this little tube in the oil pick up.

1894471E-5F9C-49FD-B8B8-DF08E09B3E35.jpeg

• Like 2

Pressure plate is off being rebuilt and flywheel off being ground, I managed to find a spigot bearing that fits the flywheel and my 4 speed transmission, I don’t know much about bearings but this bearing is a groved roller bearing and not a ball race, dose anyone know if this is ok to use? 

On a flathead the spigot bearing is in the flywheel and not the crankshaft so there is little to hold in a bush, this is the only bearing I could find in the right dimensions.

3EEE3B2B-BC23-4107-A79C-3DE58DB2ECB4.jpeg

• Like 2

Set up a PVC system of my own style and it seems to work, I plugged the vent in the sump witch goes up into the valley but the vent on top of the motor witch goes into the crank cave is open, no moisture on the oil cap anymore and less fumes but this motor is pretty worn so still some fumes, I cannot plug it totally or it will suck air in the rear crank matrix. You cannot have everything with a flathead. 

736643B5-6384-4684-B7BF-55FEF32BA517.jpeg

DD5067FB-53B4-4955-B325-2993163FEC89.jpeg

• Like 7