centrifugal clutches

bathcollector

I'm fluffing round with a kart for the kids. I am putting a clone chonda on and there is limited room around the seat. Can I put a sprocket on the crankshaft and run the clutch off of the jack shaft ? Seems like it would still work like this to me, but I have had a few great ideas at times that had a flaw.

IMG_2329.JPG

On 01/03/2020 at 20:33, bathcollector said:

I'm fluffing round with a kart for the kids. I am putting a clone chonda on and there is limited room around the seat. Can I put a sprocket on the crankshaft and run the clutch off of the jack shaft ? Seems like it would still work like this to me, but I have had a few great ideas at times that had a flaw.

IMG_2329.JPG

Yes, as long as gearing to jackshaft is 1:1 ratio. If that's the case it's no different.

If gear ratio differs, then your engagement rpm will reflect the difference. It may still work fine, but something that you need to consider.

I normally cut about 10mm of spring out on my lower powered drift trikes to raise the spring tension and in turn raise engagement rpm up for the clutch. This is similar to raising rpm on a car and then dumping the clutch = faster take off and wheel spin goodness.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bathcollector said:

A geezer on old minibikes.com pointed out it won't work the way I have it as the drum will spin but not the hub. I need to put the clutch on the wheel side of the jackshaft.

Yes, 1:1 ratio motor to jackshaft, then clutch to axle/wheel. Sorry, I was assuming that you were doing that.

• Like 1